PDA

View Full Version : Cataract Creek waterfalls

Allen Hirsch
03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
In the Mt. Tamalpais watershed - I've never seen so much moss and so many ferns.

Canon 40D + 17-55 EF-S (@23mm), with tripod; f14, 2 sec. Cropped sides for more vertical composition, pp in Lightroom (had to tone down the water b/c dynamic range exceeded what the sensor could handle).

Jay Gould
03-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Nice image, Allen. I might have shot it a bit faster to give some form to the water fall. Almost too flat/silky for my taste.

Tim Munsey
03-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Hi,
I think this shot has a green cast so can be improved with a white balance adjustment.
Pleasant scene.

Tim

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Allen,

I agree with the previous comments. As you indicated the dynamic range of the camera was exceeded, I am assuming this was a high-contrast scene with the whites blown out that you have tried to save in post-processing. Though I like the vertical presentation, the image quality is lacking due to the high-contrast and attempt to manage it after the fact.

I rarely attempt this type of image accept on overcast days of pre-dawn, post-sunset light. When in Tennessee a few years ago photographing waterfalls, I would hike in the dark to them to photograph before the contrast got high, or stay to sunset and then hike back in the dark.

Dave Mills
03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Allen, good tips above. On a positive note I do like how you framed the image. IMO I like having some detail in flowing water if possible. On average I find that 1/4 sec will give me what I want.(the speed of the water flow also effects the outcome)

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Allen, good tips above. On a positive note I do like how you framed the image. IMO I like having some detail in flowing water if possible. On average I find that 1/4 sec will give me what I want.(the speed of the water flow also effects the outcome)

Yes I do like the composition and neglected to mention that. Thanks Dave.

Andrew McLachlan
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Allen, agree with the previous comments. It is a beautiful scene and would be so nice if you are able to re-visit on an overcast or drizzly kind of day, or as Robert suggests before sunrise or after sunset.

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey Allen,
Still in Florida on my tour so a bit late to the party! I agree with the above assesments. Comp is excellent ........which is often difficult to do with fallen trees in the scene but I think the overall brightness and color cast hurt the final product. I do think a rework in PP'ing......if the whites aren't blown will help this a lot. Worth the effort as the comp is very nicely done!