PDA

View Full Version : reddish on white

Jack Faller
03-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Early morning reddish egret on the Alafia
1/1600s @F5.6, iso 640, Canon 40D, EF 500mm almost a silhouette

Arthur Morris
03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Welcome. Like the subject and the mood and the sticks. The bird's head is facing slightly away. (See the Head Angle Police thread in Educational Resources.) The subject looks a bit dark and there is too much room behind the bird? How did you get to Alafia?

later and love, artie

Alfred Forns
03-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Big Welcome Jack !!!!

Not sure what you were trying to do here !!! Maybe you were trying for a silohuette Did not see compensation

Here I would go for a full silohuette or use full flash for getting detail in the bird Would have opted for detail from some flash fill Trying obtain detail has brought some noise and a halo btw love that bg !!!!

Jack Faller
03-23-2008, 07:08 AM
"How did you get to Alafia?"

I was on a Best of Florida photography workshop with James Shadle last week.
It was an excellent experience. Thought Alfred
would like the background since he seemed to enjoy shooting in the rain when
the light wasn't harsh.

jack

Linda Robbins
03-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I like the high-key look to this graphic image, but as Al mentioned, you could either have made it a silhouette or lit the bird with flash. As is, the bird is too dark. The stick and reflection shapes add a lot of interest. The composition would be improved by placing the bird on the far right of the frame with more room in front, and waiting for a bit of head turn.

Brian Wong
03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Jack!

It was a pleasure meeting you during the Best of Florida workshop. I like the artistic mood ... and glad to see that you were trying to work with the conditions in the rain.

Jack Faller
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
According to suggestions, I upped the exposure in Camera Raw to utilize some of the more useful
of the 14 bits, then cloned some canvas onto the left side. Also reduced some noise using Dfine2 & cropped to ratio 8:10. Can't make the head turn after the fact. Thanks for the recommendations.

jack