PDA

View Full Version : Upper Yosemite Falls

Indranil Sircar
03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I visited the park yesterday and took this image in the morning... the condition is still winter like with low water flow giving a much nicer reflection on Merced. The settings were

7D, EF 17-40mm @ 17mm on Gitzo/Gittos ball head.
1/15 sec, f/22 Mode: Av Metering: Evaluative Live view: active ISO: 200 AF mode: One-shot AF White balance: Cloudy, Cable release

For processing, increased saturation, applied multiple selective color adjustment layers for rock face, sky and snow. Your c&c will be appreciated...

Dave Mills
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Indranil, I feel you did a good job compositionally by showing a foreground, middle reflection and minimalising the sky. For some reason the image appears a bit flat to my eye. Could possibly need a contrast adj to give the image more dimension...

Jay Gould
03-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Know the falls and the trail up the side of the falls very well - much easier going down! :t3

Agree with Dave's comments; needs a bit of punch.

Indranil Sircar
03-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Dave, Jay, thanks. When I look at it now, i too feel the image being flat. Here is a repost after some adjustment layers...

Jay Gould
03-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi, definitely like the RP better. Thanks,

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree that the second post has more pop.

I am unsure about a curious looking gray cloudy look to the trees along the bank. Overall, the image looks soft (needs sharpening).

Andrew McLachlan
03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Indranil, this is a lovely scene. repost definitely has more punch. I see what Robert notices in the "gray cloudy look" to trees along river bank. I think it may look a little more pronounced in the repost than the original. Nicely captured!

Indranil Sircar
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Robert, Andrew, thanks. Appreciate it a lot. I have not been able to figure out the gray cloud look of those trees but I can fix that in the final repost.

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey Indranil,
Still in Florida on tour so a bit late to the party! The comp is classic with the low water providing a nicer reflection! I do agree with the others on the funkiness in the trees.....perhaps a color balance on the neutrals and blacks there?......all in all some minor tweaks to make the comp shine!

Ed Cordes
03-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I like the scene a lot. Considering it is still winter a fair amount of water is flowing. We all agree about the funky cloud effect on some of the trees. Perhaps a local contrast enhancement?