PDA

View Full Version : Nice Reflection.....

Arthur Morris
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
This is the second of 344 first cut keepers from our one sunny morning at Lake Kerkini, Greece that I am sharing here. It was magical. This Dalmatian Pelican image was created from the boat with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and the EOS-1D Mark IV (hand held at 125mm). ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/11.

I am sure that there will be comments about the REDs :) You had to be there.

Ilija Dukovski
03-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Fantastic! Love these birds, detail on plumage incredible, pose just perfect,
and the reds, wow!

Cheers!

Ilija

Joerg Rockenberger
03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
That blue and calm water beautifully sets of the white and RED color. Perfect exposure as expected and great pose. One way this might have been even better could be if the body was more square to the camera. But that's nit-picking... Congrats. JR

Grace Scalzo
03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Super sweet. Colors rock. There's an elegance, a quietness to this. Then I see those head feathers and it makes me laugh too.

Randy Stout
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Artie:

You are sure right about the reds. I couldn't resist looking at them in PS. Only 207 in the red channel. Just amazing, I would have guessed much hotter.

Still water/reflection, nice. Love the reddish nail too.

Nice white details.

That has to be a record for you keeping that many images after the first editing pass, for a single session.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Fuhr
03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I remember reading that you wanted a shot of this species so I looked it up on the internet to see what it looked like (expected polka dots based on the name :S3:). I think you really captured this one -- the sharpness and the blues contrasting with the reds are very nice. The reflection is a nice addition, as well. Much nicer than anything I saw that day ...

Did you clean up the water at all?

Arthur Morris
03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Artie:

You are sure right about the reds. I couldn't resist looking at them in PS. Only 207 in the red channel. Just amazing, I would have guessed much hotter.

Still water/reflection, nice. Love the reddish nail too.

Nice white details.

That has to be a record for you keeping that many images after the first editing pass, for a single session.

Cheers

Randy

Yes a record. As for the REDs, out of camera they were pure detail-less enamel. Added 70 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color. And reduced the RED saturation 10 points. But that still did not match what I saw so I added 50 points of BLACK to the REDs again in Selective Color and that was brought the RED to pretty close to what I remember.

Arthur Morris
03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I remember reading that you wanted a shot of this species so I looked it up on the internet to see what it looked like (expected polka dots based on the name :S3:). I think you really captured this one -- the sharpness and the blues contrasting with the reds are very nice. The reflection is a nice addition, as well. Much nicer than anything I saw that day ...

Did you clean up the water at all?

Thanks Mike (and all) :) There was a bit of scuzz in the water above the bird plus a hair on the sensor and some dust spots.

Aidan Briggs
03-06-2011, 04:43 PM
This is absolutely killer Artie! I love the reflection, perfect whites, and still water. Great hairdo too.

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
fantastic shot Artie! just enough ripple in the water to keep the image from jerking around my perception :w3

lovely details and colours throughout!

Gary Esman
03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi Artie, have enjoyed looking at these guys. Another killer shot!

Gary.

Jim Crosswell
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Great image Arthur! I like the reflection, sharpness and exposure. I also like the subtle ripple rings around the pelican as well.

Arthur Morris
03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks all. It was a wondrous trip. There are lots more images on the blog especially here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/03/03/214-keeper-day-at-lake-kerkini-greece/). I will be doing a post of images from our lone sunny morning soon :)

arash_hazeghi
03-07-2011, 03:00 AM
great light and I like the distorted reflection.

Chris Martinez
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
**** straight it's a nice reflection :eek:

Looks like it has it's hands on its hips and is scolding you haha lol:bg3:

James Salywoda
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Stunning!!! I like the colors and reflection and of course the detail.:S3:

Don Lacy
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Wonderful image Artie the colors are to die for. I have notice from your postings and blogs your use of selective color and have started to play around with it more to help accentuate colors in an image thanks for the the tip :w3

Pieter de Waal
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Agreed, nice reflection with your usual great detail in the whites. Great use of dof to get the whole bird in focus. Thanks for the extra lesson on treating the reds.

Arthur Morris
03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks all. Just got home to ILE and am cooking dinner. It is 11:10 pm in London where I was this morning :)

Ofer Levy
03-07-2011, 11:38 PM
A pleasing image! Excellent techs, light and colours. Wish for a lower shooting angle but I guess this could have been a bit difficult from a boat with the 70-200...:w3.

RakeshDhareshwar
03-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Mind blowing image , Artie . The reflection , position of the beak and the exposure on the whites !! Awesome !

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Artie, stunning shot...great reflection, calmness and the IQ. loved the reds.