PDA

View Full Version : Canon 600f4 NON IS

Dave Mellenbruch
03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I have a chance to buy a used canon 600f4 for a little less than a new 500f4 IS. I'm a bit leery though because the 600 is non-is(I do much of my shooting resting the lens on a beanbag out my truck window). Should I buy the 600 or save up some more pennies and opt for the 500?

Robert O'Toole
03-22-2008, 06:19 PM
500 with IS.
Optimumn sharpness is much easier to nail with IS. Without IS or with IS off (by mistake) your sharp-sharp image rate would plummet. I can tell shooting with a 1.4x or 2x when my IS is off. It makes that much difference.
Go with the 500 IS.
I would not want to own/shoot with a 600 non IS.

Robert

Alfred Forns
03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Dave when you use that lens with converters you will be severely handicapped Would save and to for the 500 IS !!!!

Doug West
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I have a 600 non/is...I think my pictures
are okay :)

It can be a pain in carrying it (and/or travelling). Although I've kind
of equalized that with its own case.

Of course, I got mine for $2500 off ebay cause a newbie didn't put
a reserve on it.

With all that said, if I could afford it and thought I'd get a good return
on my 600, I'd go with the 500.

Doug

JH Tugs
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
There's a lesson here. Now, what was the ebay user's account name again? Y'know, just in case they have any more for sale.... *grins*

Doug West
03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
There's a lesson here. Now, what was the ebay user's account name again? Y'know, just in case they have any more for sale.... *grins*

I actually felt kind of sorry for the guy...for about 30 seconds :p

What's funny is, nobody else bid on it. What really drew me to it though,
the lens had Doris written on some tape that it was attached to. My mom's
middle name was Doris. So I figured I was meant to have it.

The body isn't the greatest, but the lens is clean and it works. Thats all
that matters to me.

Doug

Robert Amoruso
03-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Having owned the 500mm and now a 600mm and occasionally leaving the IS off, it makes a big difference. Get the IS with the 500mm.

Rick Groom
03-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Another point to take into account is repairs. I know when I owned the 500 4.5,Canon had very few parts left to repair the lens. So unless you know a good repair guy with a nice inventory, I'd hold out for a 500 IS.
YMMV

Doug West
03-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Another point to take into account is repairs. I know when I owned the 500 4.5,Canon had very few parts left to repair the lens. So unless you know a good repair guy with a nice inventory, I'd hold out for a 500 IS.
YMMV

Thats a good point. On the flip side, I lost the knob for my lens collar on my
600. I called Canon. I had to buy the whole freaking collar, something like
$300. I took my lens to a Lowe's and found a screw that fit...only 79 cents.

Doug

Dave Mellenbruch
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks all, I'll be calling B&H soon to order the 500!

Steve Bein
04-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I have had both the 600 IS and 600 non IS. Using proper long lens techniques, the non IS is tack sharp. IS does help in those times when it is needed or if your technique is less than needed in each individual situation. And yes, IS will help at times.. If you can try out the lens, that is the best option for you. I have found that opinions are like eyes and everyone has one or two. The proof of the situation is always in the hands of the user. My 600 non IS I bought from a pro golf photographer and the lens was too long for him when he switched to a 1.6 crop digital camera from film ( a while ago.)
A damned fine lens and it did a great job.
The end result will come from your hands and the actual result, after taking opinions and advice into consideration, should come from you and your experience.

Robert O'Toole
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
I have had both the 600 IS and 600 non IS. Using proper long lens techniques, the non IS is tack sharp. IS does help in those times when it is needed or if your technique is less than needed in each individual situation. And yes, IS will help at times.. .

It think IS is much more important than that, I consider it one of the important advancements in lens technology. You can shoot a 600/4 with a 2X and make consistently sharp images at 1/30 or 1/15 of a second in the field, with a breeze! You would be lucky to get a 5% success rate with a non IS 600 + 2X and slow shutter speeds.

I really cant think of a situation or "times" when IS is not needed when using a 600 with extenders.

Also Canon claims that IS also helps AI-servo AF tracking accuracy.

Robert

Brian Wong
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Also Canon claims that IS also helps AI-servo AF tracking accuracy.
Robert

Hi Robert!

How are you? As always, thanks for the great information!

I can't seem to get my head around this on. I am curious if you knew the mechanism or reasoning in how the IS function is related to the AI-Servo function ... in AF tracking accuracy? Do you think that they are tied together electronically, and CPU controlled? Do you think that this also applies to really high shutter speed situations?

Robert O'Toole
04-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Brian,

I havent read a technical statement on the reasoning behind it, but I assume since the IS system makes the image more stable, the AF system has an easier time aquiring and tracking the target. Makes sense when you think about it, especially when using 45 point like I usually do.

Good to see you online!

Robert