PDA

View Full Version : Theme Straight down the barrel - Northern Goshawk (c)

Dan Brown
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, I see much to be desired with this capture (more dof and sharpness!) but I like the eyes and it is on the theme! Cropped to about 70% and PP'ed with Capture NX2 and CS3, sharpened and NR with Noiseware and usm, removed some highlights from the eyes. This is a falconers bird. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D300. handheld with shoulder mount
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Optional,TTL -2
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-C

Daniel Cadieux
03-05-2011, 10:36 PM
That would be tough to get the same view out in the wild!! I like the image, but getting the eyes higher in the frame, and getting more direct frontal light angle would have helped alot here.

Very fitting for the theme alright!! Thanks for participating:S3:

Randy Stout
03-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Dan:

Good self critique and input from Daniel. The color of the illuminated eye is great. Talk about eye contact!

Because this was a bird held by a handler, might have been possible to ask him to turn so the lighting was more even?

As a stationary bird, you could have traded shutter speed to get more DOF here.

Right on the money for the theme.

Cheers

Randy

Dan Brown
03-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Dan:

Good self critique and input from Daniel. The color of the illuminated eye is great. Talk about eye contact!

Because this was a bird held by a handler, might have been possible to ask him to turn so the lighting was more even?

As a stationary bird, you could have traded shutter speed to get more DOF here.

Right on the money for the theme.

Cheers

Randy
Thanks guys. Randy, the bird was actually being held perfectly for a side profile, which I was able to capture. She nervous and moving her head from one direction to the other. I will try to post a side profile here in avian soon.

Herb Houghton
03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Great shot Dan, I like the eye color and contact here. I agree with a little more dof rather than shutter. TFS

Joerg Rockenberger
03-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, what a look. Great detail and as already mentioned more DOF would be nice. Lovely background as well. JR