PDA

View Full Version : What comes natural.

Marc Mol
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
5.54pm
Marking and scenting one of their favourite trees, may not be everyone's cup of tea, however it plays a large part in a Cheetah's natural behavior and survival.
I had a look at cropping out the green layered BG, but felt the resultant pano was a little too cramped for the tail.

D3s 500VR 1/160s ISO800@f/6.3 F/F. Mara Oct 2010

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Harshad Barve
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Actually that green band adds here for me at-least :w3
Excellent behavior image here
TFS

Ken Watkins
03-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Marc,

I have ceased taking images like this and actally never really liked them, it is just a personal taste thing:w3

Hilary Hann
03-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Marc, I would agree on leaving the green band in as the tail does look like it would be a bit close to the top. I think your dof field works to your advantage here and the grasses have enough texture and colour variation to look interesting. There would appear to always be a place for images of animal behaviour and this captures the interest the cheetah have in the tree and I like the left cheetah looking around.

Just as a matter of interest Ken, why do you not like these kinds of images? I know everyone has different likes and dislikes, this one just hasn't come up before to my knowledge. :S3:

Marc Mol
03-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Marc,

I have ceased taking images like this and actally never really liked them, it is just a personal taste thing:w3

may not be everyone's cup of tea,

Yep, no problem Ken, I know you are a coffee drinker!:bg3:

Marc Mol
03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Thanks Hilary

this one just hasn't come up before to my knowledge. :S3:

I can remember Harshad posting something similar some months ago which sparked some controversy re, distracting, but natural BG elements.:e3
Nothing removed here BTW.

Grant Atkinson
03-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi Marc, nicely done here, the lack of distractions is good, and the both sides of the behaviour are captured, investigating scents and laying them down. I like the green BG...You did well to get it sharp at that shutter speed.
TFS
Grant

Rachel Hollander
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Marc - it's a nice environment shot and the behavior is natural. While it is not something I would hang on the wall, it is something I would take while in the field. I think the green foliage adds to the image and agree with your assessment of space issues without it.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Lovely low angle and nice DOF...Lovely image Marc

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
lovely techs here Marc, and good poses by both...I don't mind any images of natural animal behaviour...they are "naked" all the time anyway haha :w3

looks a tad underexposed to me? maybe brighten it just a smidge?

Steve Canuel
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Marc - it's a nice environment shot and the behavior is natural. While it is not something I would hang on the wall, it is something I would take while in the field. I think the green foliage adds to the image and agree with your assessment of space issues without it.

+1 Here. Its a nice simple composition with no distracting elements. The green band adds some contrast in color, and I now know more about male cheetah anatomy than I could have ever hoped for :bg3:

Ken Watkins
03-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Just as a matter of interest Ken, why do you not like these kinds of images? I know everyone has different likes and dislikes, this one just hasn't come up before to my knowledge. :S3:

Hilary,

Missed your request until now, "function" images may well be part of natures wonderful bounty but they are not to my taste. Perhaps I am a little old fashioned:2:2

Marc,

Actually I am mainly a tea drinker, but then I was brought up in UK.:bg3::bg3: