PDA

View Full Version : Question about travelling by air with a tripod

Michael Barbuschak
03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I am planning on travelling to Florida in April and would like to know how to bring my tripod along with me. Can I bring this as a carry-on item, or do I have to pack it in my checked in luggage? The tripod in question is a Gitzo GT3530LSV with a Wimberley version II head.

Thanks,
Mike

David Kennedy
03-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I would put it in your checked bag, along with the Wimberley. There's no really "good" way to take it as a carry-on, as you'll probably have two of those already: a laptop bag and a camera bag. Unless you're traveling with someone who can get away with only one carry-on and would be willing to take your tripod in a shoulder-type bag (like a small duffel), I think it has to go below.

Philip Pietri
03-22-2008, 04:33 PM
When I first read the name of this thread I thought to myself...

"A flying tripod? Doesn't sound safe."

Alfred Forns
03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Just remove the head and place both in your checked luggage !!! btw the lens hood is usually packed in the check in luggage also !!!

If you ever have a problem removing the head (it happens) Just take it off with plate and all There is a little wrench included with tripod.

Rocky Sharwell
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I do exactly as David suggested--removing the head from the tripod. The tripod goes in the middle of the duffle bag--surrounded by clothes...

George DeCamp
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Chances are they won't let you take it as a carry-on item since it could be used as a club ie weapon....had that happen with a scuba item once.

I do as the folks above, put it in my check in and wrap it in clothes or actually put it in the middle with clothes on both sides.

True Story: Last time we went to Hawaii an inspector grabbed my check in luggage and asked me if I had a bunch of Bananas in it. Bananas I said? He said yes and told me he had to open it. Turned out he saw my tripod on the x-ray machine and took it out. Needless to say he felt kinda dumb and at least laughed with me! :)

Fabs Forns
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Chances are they won't let you take it as a carry-on item since it could be used as a club ie weapon....had that happen with a scuba item once.

I do as the folks above, put it in my check in and wrap it in clothes or actually put it in the middle with clothes on both sides.

True Story: Last time we went to Hawaii an inspector grabbed my check in luggage and asked me if I had a bunch of Bananas in it. Bananas I said? He said yes and told me he had to open it. Turned out he saw my tripod on the x-ray machine and took it out. Needless to say he felt kinda dumb and at least laughed with me! :)

Good story, George. As said before, in checked baggage. And if you have a big hood (super telephotots) also in checked baggage, stuffed with underwear :)

Roger Clark
03-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Most of the time I put my tripods and heads in checked luggage. But occasionally I carry it on board. When I have, I have never had a problem. As long as the tripod has no spiked feet, you should be OK. But I suppose you might find yourself one time when they refuse it. Last year when I was returning from Greece, getting ready to board a United flight from Frankfurt to Washington DC, there was a guy in the waiting area with one of the largest tripods I've seen (well large by a Gitzo 1348 size). I talked to him and he was a videographer and said he carries the tripod all over the world on board and never had a problem. I'm usually carrying too many big lenses, camera bodies and laptop to also consider a tripod.

Roger Clark

Milan V
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I always travel with both in my checked in luggage.
Best!

Jory Griesman
03-25-2008, 06:50 PM
I actually had this problem - I couldn't get the Wimberley off, and didn't have an Allen key. I was fortunate that the airline (Southwest) allowed me to take the tripod with attached head on the plane, along with my knapsack and my camera bag. I have found, for the most part, that once you get to the gate, unless you have something blaringly large, you can usually, in the commotion, sneak more on than is explicitly outlined.

Roman Kurywczak
03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi All,
On the way out to my destination.....I check the legs........for carry on I use a very large rolling briefcase (think lawyer size from Staples) which would fit laptop plus other suff (lenses/chargers/etc.), including my wimberly or ball head packed in bubble wrap or similar plus either my 300-800 with it's case and other gadgets/equipment stuffed in it's case or my backpack.........1 carry on plus briefcase. Only 1 time on a small plane in Alaska did I have an issue.....and then I prayed! On the way home, I put the wimberly or ballhead in checked as the trip is over!
Roman

David Wilson
03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I used to just put the tripod in a Think Tank bazooka and check it. Never had a problem other than the fact that I would get to my destination but the checked baggage wouldn't. While I could make do without a lens hood for a while until the luggage also made it to the destination, being without the tripod was a major pain. Now, given I'm usually travelling with the wife I carry the tripod on, along with camera bag, laptop bag and one bag for her. Haven't had any issue with bringing the tripod on board - I specifically have asked several airlines and TSA people at LAX and have been assured that it is not an issue providing the total bag count is ok.

David Wilson
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
As an aside, I'll often check the tripod on the way back as it saves carrying it when I'm not going to need it within 24 hours of getting off the plane.

Roger Clark
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
David,
What model tripod are you carrying on board?
Roger

David Wilson
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
David,
What model tripod are you carrying on board?
Roger

Gitzo 1325CF with arca swiss ballhead (don't have a Wimberley) - the sidekick is in the same bag stuffed between the legs or in my camera bag (think tank airport security or airport addicted)