PDA

View Full Version : Gazania Sundrop

Norm Dulak
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Canon PowerShot S90
ISO Equiv. 320
Evaluative Metering -0.33
f/8.0, 1/160 sec

This image was captured at Longwood Gardens, during my most recent visit. Every time I've visited the gardens, I've looked at the Gazania planting, which each time has featured a single, yellow blossom against a bed of silvery leaves. But each time in the past, too bright sun streaming through the conservatory overhead has made my task of capturing that little flower against the silvery background difficult. Here, I think conditions were somewhat better.

Note the developing buds, that will produce those single yellow blossoms for future visitors to Longwood Gardens to enjoy.

Please tell me, what do you think of this image?

Norm

Chris Korman
03-06-2011, 01:11 AM
This photo has a nice cool crispness contrasted against a warm toned element. I like that there are really only two elements in the this scene. I might experiment with a wider aspect ratio crop, as the top 1/2 inch to inch *may* not be needed.

Ken Childs
03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Hey Norm, it looks like you definitely found the right time to take this shot....the overall lighting looks pretty good. I like the comp as is but you might give a try at cropping some off the left and a tiny bit off the top, just to get the flower a little closer to a ROT position without disturbing this nice AR. Also, trying to even out the lighting on the flower might be worthwhile.....either lightening up the top half or darkening the bottom half of maybe a little of both. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey Norm,
Down in Florida on my tour......so a bit slow in responding......I do think the crop suggestions have merit......but I like the way you though about using all the vegetaion with the lone bloom! It would be interesting to see Ken's idea on the bloom implemented for comparison......but I think it has a nice depth to the bloom as presented. For me, the crop will make this shine!

Norm Dulak
03-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments!

In this repost, I centered the LR line intersection of the PS CS5 ROT grid on the blossom center and slightly lightened the upper portion of the blossom with Viveza 2.004. Now the two images can be compared.

Norm

jimknoy
03-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I like the original image best because I think it more accurately reflects what you felt and saw out there, the lone blossom among all of the silverly leaves.

Norm Dulak
03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I like the original image best because I think it more accurately reflects what you felt and saw out there, the lone blossom among all of the silverly leaves.

Thanks Jim. I think I'm with you. The original lighting of the blossom IMO enhanced the richness and depth of it. And keeping the greater expanse of the leaves served I think to better emphasize the loneliness of that single blossom in the silvery expanse beneath it.

Maybe I didn't accurately carry out the changes suggested by Ken and Roman. If so, I apologize. :e3

Norm

Ken Childs
03-08-2011, 10:59 AM
This is more what I had in mind as far as the crop is concerned. I like the aspect ratio of the OP but thought it might look better if the flower were a bit closer to a ROT position. To crop and keep the same AR in Photoshop, select the entire image with the crop tool and then while holding down the shift key, adjust the crop. I think I prefer the look of the flower in the OP. :S3:

Norm Dulak
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Ken. Now I see what you meant, and I appreciate your effort in crating this alternative and posting it. :S3:

And thanks for the advice in maintaing the AR!

Norm

Nick Palmieri
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I like the re-post in pane 8. The flower sits very nicely in the lower corner and is sharp and is tack sharp. Very nice idea on this one!

Steve Maxson
03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Norm. This is nicely seen and photographed - and I like the crop in Ken's repost. You might be able to "create" this sort of light on a sunny day using a diffusion screen - if they allow such things at Longwood. :S3:

Anita Bower
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I think this is a lovely image. My eye went straight to the crisp yellow flower, which stands out nicely amidst the grey/greens. I like how sharp the flower is. I think your version and ken's version work well.

Norm Dulak
03-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks everyone for looking, and for your interesting comments! :cheers: