PDA

View Full Version : 20 below

dankearl
03-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Hoarfrost
Taken this past winter in Northern Utah.
1/250
F8
Circular Polarizer
iso200
13mm

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/0051logan_2-1.jpg

bhavya joshi
03-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey Dankearl,

Great shot... Trees looking nice.. nice color of white and brown,
And sky looking Fresh and clear.. what you think, if you take all trees in rows slightly.. It would be better??
It is good angle?? What you think..??:S3:

(http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php/10968-dankearl)

Andrew McLachlan
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Dan, I love hoarfrost on a clear sunny morning. You have captured nice details in the trees. I am wanting to point the camera lower though, looks like some branches were clipped at the bottom of the main tree.

Chris Korman
03-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Very nice "crispness" feeling I get from this image, I may have also tried a horizontal shot as well as cutting out the base of the trees, the composition is weakened because the tree is kind of "floating"

dankearl
03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Here is the uncropped edition.
I did not like the fences, so I cropped them out for just the hoarfrost and sky.
It is rural Utah and this is what the pastures and fencing looks like.
Thanks for the comments, you may be right that the trees are floating, here is the full photo.
I don't know if I like it as well, but it is more "complete".
Again, thanks for the comments.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/0051logan.jpg

Chris Korman
03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Hmm, well the composition is "better" but if you don't like it then I think perhaps getting closer to the tree or trying different angles to better frame the branches and sky would the be direction to go in to find the composition that excludes what you don't like, but is not "force" cropped. I still think a horizontal would be better, but that's just my opinion. Go with what moves you most.

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey Dan,
Down in Florida on my tour....so a bit late responding.......I much prefer the uncropped version......maybe even more if you had 1/2 inch offf the top and had it on the base. I like the way the line of trees rises to the main focal one. I would consider cropping out the left one that is more bare......would still have the same rise and take away the 1 uninteresting one. Nicely done overall and while the sky looks a bit overpolarised.....I'm OK with that although not everyones cup of tea.

Dave Mills
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Dan, Agree with Roman's comments regarding the repost. I find that a much stronger comp. I would also consider cropping out the bare tree on the left. Would of liked just a bit more base to the image.Beautiful light with the trees having a magical quality to them...

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I looked in yesterday but did not have time to comment.

I like the second post. Having the trees cut off is disconcerting to the viewer. IF you don't like the fences best to reposition yourself and concentrate on a smaller closeup of the branches against the blue sky as Chris mentioned.

Andrew McLachlan
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Dan, I much prefer the repost. I think the fence adds to the image. Agree with Roman's suggestion for a little more on the bottom and less on top. I would clone out the small contrail on the left side of the image.

Hilary Hann
03-08-2011, 03:35 AM
I love the repost with the fence. Would agree on cropping the uninteresting tree on the left, but the trees and frost against the blue sky look wonderful and I much prefer the trees 'grounded'.