PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Photographer in Montana Found Guilty of Baiting Bighorn Sheep in Montana - 180 Day Jail Sentence

Michael Pancier
03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Some folks don't learn. He was warned, and frankly was lucky he didn't get more jail time.

Read it here (http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/news/Photographer-Jailed--2042.shtml).

Ben_Sadd
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately, things like this will not help the image of the more responsible ones among us (hopefully the majority). However, the example made of this guy is good. We photograph wildlife because we love it, we should stick to legislation, and an animal's well being should not be compromised for the sake of commercial gain.

Ken Watkins
03-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Excellent news, I abhor any form of baiting. If only they would do this in Nepal.

Harshad Barve
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Excellent news
TFS

AJ Witt
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Funny, you would think someone doing this would have a nice portfolio and have it online somewhere. I did a quick Google and couldn't find any online portfolio from this guy.

Ed Cordes
03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
It is against the law, it is unethical, he was warned and he still persisted. The judge let him off lightly.

Jeff Parker
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm missing something. What is wrong? How is it different than feeding birds?

hari ari
03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Before we all go casting stones, exactly what was he guilty off. I agree with Jeff Parker, we use bird feeders in the wild, lay seeds, reposition road kills, etc. This is no different to laying bait. I am missing some point here.

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
From the article:

Montana state law prohibits the feeding of wildlife "or knowingly providing supplemental feed attractants to game animals."

Molde was turned in to authorities by an anonymous tipster. According to a press release issued by Montana FWP, the photographer had been warned in writing last year against feeding sheep

That says it all right there. He broke the law, plain and simple. I'm the first to admit to use different methods to lure subjects closer, including baiting WHERE LEGAL, but this guy got what he deserved.........

paul leverington
04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
It is against the law, it is unethical, he was warned and he still persisted. The judge let him off lightly.

Hey ED--Unethical because he broke the law or unethical cause he baited??

Paul