PDA

View Full Version : Happy Families

Hilary Hann
03-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Close to our camp in the Mara Reserve were 3 lionesses and 8 cubs although only 2 lionesses were mothers. On this day we had been observing the adults several times, but could not find the cubs despite looking in all the creche spots nearby. On our last look as we went back to camp we watched the 3 lionesses get up from under their bush and walk towards where we had looked for the cubs in the bushes earlier. Calling constantly we were rewarded when all 8 little lions came racing out of hiding to joyous greetings and intent suckling to make up for their lonely day. They were certainly hidden well.
7D; 100-400 @ 100mm; ISO800; 1/250; f8 Hand held. I just wished I'd grabbed the 5D2 and taken some additional frames with that, but I was enthralled by the cubs and just forgot! :e3

Harshad Barve
03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Beautiful picture of family
TFS

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Nicely done Hilary. I like the FG lion licking the cub.

Steve Kaluski
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Great to see interaction like this Hilary, crop works well.

Not sure if there is a slight 'magenta' cast in it, as I am still viewing on laptop, so I could be wrong? :w3

How about 'Pride & Joy' for the title. :S3:

Meant to say, the thought for the title was from a great article about the thread lions are facing in the wild written by Jonathan Scott.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
lovely moment here Hilary, pano presentation works well

I would brighten this by about a 1/3 stop? doesn't seem to be a cast on my monitor...

Vivaldo Damilano
03-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Hilary it a wonderful sighting and love the composition, well balanced IMO. I would lighten the image a bit. Find that it pops nicely TFS:cheers:

Steve Canuel
03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Neat shot. Good to see so many seemingly healthy babies. :S3:

Hilary Hann
03-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Probably could lighten it a bit, looked alright last night when I processed it but an amarula cream or two, late night … what can I say!? :e3

Steve, I'm pretty sure there's no magenta cast as my camera nearly always has excess magenta so I was careful to pull down the magenta saturation. You need to get back to your Eizo! :c3: (BTW, the eizo monitors have dropped a great deal in price so my purchase is getting closer!! :bg3:)

Rachel Hollander
03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Hilary - Well done on the wide composition to include both groupings. This gets a big cute factor. I agree on lightening the image a tad.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
03-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Cuteness personified here Hilary, saying everything about Lion behavior, well documented.
Agree that it could take a slight increase in exposure. Not seeing any magenta cast on my cal monitor either.
TFS