PDA

View Full Version : Landscape with 600mm

Troy Lim
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM

3 frames combined. Cloudy day and soften it to give it a soft focus feel.
Hope you like it.

Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 600 mm
ISO Speed 640
Exposure Bias +1/3 EV
Flash No Flash

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Hello Troy,

I like the soft focus look on the BG and FG but the trees are so interesting and stand out so well I would like to see them with more detail.

Also, and I am not sure why and can't explain, but I find the left side of the image weak in comparison to the right side. My guess is the heavier treeline on the right.

I reposted with a crop from the left, cloned out the small turf of grass in the water at the lower left edge and clone out a flying bird. I also sharpened the image and painted out the sharpening on the BG and FG. I also did a levels correction to expand the highlight end due to the flat look and added a mild s-curve.

Not sure if you are OK with cloning out distractions, if not, please considered the new crop and tree sharpening as an alternate interpretation.

Dave Mills
03-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Troy, I like your OP and feel it's well balanced.Robert's handling of the tree improves the image by making the tree stand out a bit more while not killing the mood. Good job capturing a simple subject effectively...

Troy Lim
03-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Hello Troy,

I like the soft focus look on the BG and FG but the trees are so interesting and stand out so well I would like to see them with more detail.

Also, and I am not sure why and can't explain, but I find the left side of the image weak in comparison to the right side. My guess is the heavier treeline on the right.

I reposted with a crop from the left, cloned out the small turf of grass in the water at the lower left edge and clone out a flying bird. I also sharpened the image and painted out the sharpening on the BG and FG. I also did a levels correction to expand the highlight end due to the flat look and added a mild s-curve.

Not sure if you are OK with cloning out distractions, if not, please considered the new crop and tree sharpening as an alternate interpretation.

Hi Troy, I like your OP and feel it's well balanced.Robert's handling of the tree improves the image by making the tree stand out a bit more while not killing the mood. Good job capturing a simple subject effectively...

Thank you Robert and Dave.
I will revisit the image and do more work on it. I could just have stopped before I do the soft focus as the trees were sharp.

Andrew McLachlan
03-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Troy, nice scene. I like the original post and Robert's repost also. Robert's works a little better for the reasons Dave mentions. Look forward to seeing a version with the trees sharp.

Troy Lim
03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I took Robert's suggestion except the placement of the trees. I still prefer them on the right side.
I did an S curve, cloned out a few spots and bird and applied soft focus other than the trees.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5500149611_b8e7d88aff_b.jpg

Chris Korman
03-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Pane 6, appears like the trees have been flashed with a strobe. I think they would be better off "misted" as opposed to clear. To my eye I may crop out the reflection just at where the reed reflection ends as it slightly hurting the composition. One other thing I might consider is improving the contrast of the BG trees as they seem a little "muddy", yes they are misty but they are also a bit too dark. Nice ethereal direction you took with it.

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey Troy,Down in Florida on my tour.....so late to the party! I like the mood of the OP and look........of all of them for various reasons. I was going to say go a bit brighter......or less contrasty as Chris suggests above. I think you can also explore a crop off the RH side.......where Chris suggests above. This will be another interesting version of the OP. All in all I think you handled the comp very well and whichever direction you finally settle on......works for me all around!