PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari Tortuse

Vivaldo Damilano
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
This image was taken just after a storm in the Kalahari last year. The main road got floaded and we had to use the secondary road. It was amazing, we saw lots of these tortoises. I couldn't resist !! When I saw this little fellow I decided I had to take a photo.:c3:

Morkel Erasmus
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
this is a super shot Vivaldo...(can almost go to landscape forum as well :w3)
very well exposed, love the drama in the sky.

Isak Pretorius also posted one on another forum sometime last year which is similar, yet in his shot the tortoise was much larger in the frame. I like the width you gave it here.

if anything I do wish the tortoise was more to the left or right to be at a stronger ROT point, but that's really nit-picking :e3

Vivaldo Damilano
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks Morkel, I really tried to get this tortoise more to the left hand side but was able to.:w3 I was limited to time and was only able to take few shot :bg3: This tortoise was on the move and wouldn't stand still.

Hilary Hann
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I love this shot, from the cracks in the earth, the detail in the tortoise right through to the background sky. This is obviously one of the really fast tortoises if you couldn't take too many images! :bg3:

Vivaldo Damilano
03-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Hilary I must have taken about twenty images of this tortoise. He wasn't fast:bg3: but was always turning his back on me so only got a few of him angled towards me. I also wanted the dark sky in the BKGD and a low angle. Every time I went low trying to get the shot I wanted he moved the wrong way :w3 It does sound funny I know.

Harshad Barve
03-04-2011, 03:00 AM
This is simply super shot Man , :cheers::cheers::cheers:
TFS

Ken Watkins
03-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice to see a little creature, I might take a lot from LHS.

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Understanding he was on the move, I have to agree that the tortoise's location in the image is not ideal.

I thought a tortoise was supposed to be slow.:t3

Vivaldo Damilano
03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
This one didn't listern :w3 :bg3: Thanks everyone.

Steve Canuel
03-04-2011, 11:08 PM
A nice photo of contrasts Vivaldo. The small size of the tortoise vs the vastness of the surroundings and the dry, cracked road (creek bed?) vs the promise of rain in those dark clouds.

Rachel Hollander
03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Great POV, the cracks in the earth and the cloud bursts in the bg really make this shot. Too bad you had an uncooperative subject. I too would try a crop from the lhs, maybe just to the right of the crumbled dirt.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
WOW Vivaldo...Something so different but really great to look at...lovely stuff