PDA

View Full Version : ? Fractilius upgrade may contain a virus!

Dan Brown
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I just recieved a free upgrade via email from Redfield, downloaded and my Norton virus scanner treated it as a medium threat and deleted it:eek:! Anyone else experiencing this?

Kerry Perkins
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Dan, I didn't get any email from Redfield and their web site still shows version 1.5 as being current. The release is from July of 2009.

denise ippolito
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I never received an email or notification.:2. Thank you for the warning though.

Dan Brown
03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Dan, I didn't get any email from Redfield and their web site still shows version 1.5 as being current. The release is from July of 2009.Very interesting Kerry! Hurray for Norton!:eek: I will delete the email and warn that others may/will recieve it also as I don't know way me and not you?

Kerry Perkins
03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
This just in...

I just got the email but I'm on the way to Morro Bay so I won't be able to check it out until later.

denise ippolito
03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I did just get an email and I looked on Redfields site-it looks like they released a 1.70 version on Feb 21st.

Indranil Sircar
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I received it too... I am trying to be cautious about the security threat here. Hopefully, Redfield will issue a clarification.

Dan Brown
03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I did just get an email and I looked on Redfields site-it looks like they released a 1.70 version on Feb 21st.The plot thickens:c3:! I will hold on to the email and hopefully this can be cleared up as an update would be great!

Indranil Sircar
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Dan, according Norton, the threat perception on the executable is based on community feedback than rather a real virus signature. Hopefully Redfield will fix this. Let's wait and see.

Dan Brown
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Dan, according Norton, the threat perception on the executable is based on community feedback than rather a real virus signature. Hopefully Redfield will fix this. Let's wait and see.Thanks Indranil, that's good news!

Andrew McLachlan
03-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I received the email, but have not clicked on the link yet. I wait and see what happens in the near future. Thanks for the heads-up Dan.

Nick Palmieri
03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I received the email and the Norton threat warning but chose to install it anyway. It started installing it and Norton jumped in again and would not install it, it forced me to restart my computer and refused to let me install it at all. I went to the Redfield site and tried to download the program from the site but I can only download a demo. Not sure how to get my serial number to deactivate the demo...

Steve Adkins
03-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Please don't take this as an "All Clear"... but...
Just wanted to share that I did download and install this upgrade. McAfee gave the usual warnings.
I have processed a few images with no problems whatsoever.
The interface has changed slightly and there is an additional (square) button for adding color intensity effects. YMMV!!!

Dan Brown
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Please don't take this as an "All Clear"... but...
Just wanted to share that I did download and install this upgrade. McAfee gave the usual warnings.
I have processed a few images with no problems whatsoever.
The interface has changed slightly and there is an additional (square) button for adding color intensity effects. YMMV!!!Thanks Steve! I think I'll wait till some word comes from the mods or redfield before I try again though!

Indranil Sircar
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I had sent an email to Customer Service and John Radfield responded saying that the file is clear. It's a false detection from Norton antivirus. As this does not have a virus signature and is based on reputation (given small number of users have so far downloaded), we should be okay to install it. Norton in it's WS.Reputation.1 clarification states to restore the file from quarantine - "If you are confident that you are experiencing a false positive and cannot wait for the dispute process, the product allows you to manually remove items from quarantine".

Here is the link on how to go about getting past quarantine -

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Clarification-on-WS-Reputation-1-detection/td-p/232155

Once restored to the original download directory (depending on browser), you are free to double click and install the file. I also saved it in my software download folder and backup in case I need to reinstall in future.

Steve Adkins
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
This is really helpful! Thanks for investigating this, Indranil!

Dan Brown
03-06-2011, 11:30 AM
This is really helpful! Thanks for investigating this, Indranil!Thanks Indranil! Good work!:S3:

Nick Palmieri
03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Infrandil.

denise ippolito
03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Indranil, You are the best!!!:S3: I will make a post on my blog as soon as I can!!