PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on a kill

Tony Sparkes
03-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Hi Guys

Starting to post process images now after many years of just taking pictures.

Constructive critique and comments most welcome as I embark on this journey

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5485649561_d38c95a053.jpg

Regards

Tony

Hilary Hann
03-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Hi Tony, it is a fun journey to take. I would suggest following the guidelines about posting images on the thread as it will give a better quality and makes it easier for people to offer advice and suggestions.
It is very easy to follow. I did look at the leopard but the image is so small that I had trouble seeing past the image quality. I'm sure others with more experience will offer more help. :S3:

Tony Sparkes
03-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Hi Tony, it is a fun journey to take. I would suggest following the guidelines about posting images on the thread as it will give a better quality and makes it easier for people to offer advice and suggestions.
It is very easy to follow. I did look at the leopard but the image is so small that I had trouble seeing past the image quality. I'm sure others with more experience will offer more help. :S3:

Hi Hilary

This is how I was told to link to off site locations by the guru's here. So a little confused by your comments

Regards

Tony

Tony Sparkes
03-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Maybe a larger size will help is this any better?

Regards

Tony

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5485649561_d38c95a053_b.jpg

Todd Frost
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice moment captured Tony. Including the shooting specs is a great help to giving feedback on the image, that said more dof would have been a help here to get more of cat sharp. If mine I would tone down the green oof leaves a bit as they draw the eye. If you have it a bit more room rhs and below. Well done.
TFS
Todd

ps. You should be able to link the image so it appears on your post.

Morkel Erasmus
03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I like this Tony - the gaze makes it! This is considerably better in terms of colour and exposure compared to the version you posted on another forum where I noticed it.

I am sure you should at least be able to "embed" the linked images in the thread so we don't have to open another tab to view it?

Hilary Hann
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Tony, the larger size definitely helps. I think embedding it (I'm sure it's possible) will help get more reviews.
I like the composition you have shown, love the eyes on the leopard. I find it looks a bit over saturated in the vegetation, but I like the way the foliage frames the image.

Ian Cassell
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi Tony. Embedding the image is pretty easy. First, make the image a large enough size (1204 pixels wide x 800 high is what I usually use). In the tool bar is an icon for "add an image" that looks like a little image. Press that and then enter the url for your image (If you are a BPN member, you can add an image directly from your computer rather than a hosting site). I do like your composition, but it's a bit small for me to evaluate well.

Tony Sparkes
03-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi Tony. Embedding the image is pretty easy. First, make the image a large enough size (1204 pixels wide x 800 high is what I usually use). In the tool bar is an icon for "add an image" that looks like a little image. Press that and then enter the url for your image (If you are a BPN member, you can add an image directly from your computer rather than a hosting site). I do like your composition, but it's a bit small for me to evaluate well.

OK lets try thishttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5485649561_d38c95a053_b.jpg

Seems to work thanks Ian

Jay Gould
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I would have to describe this as an almost pastel kill!

All of the colors including the leopard skin are muted; I happen to like strong colors and contrast.

The red "lips" are great.

Tony Sparkes
03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
I would have to describe this as an almost pastel kill!

All of the colors including the leopard skin are muted; I happen to like strong colors and contrast.

The red "lips" are great.

Hi Jay

I am all for strong contrast but this is natural colour as given by mother nature herself. I am not a great fan of over saturated colour if that is what you mean.

Regards

Tony

Jay Gould
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
No, I am not suggesting over saturation; it just appears muted or pastel to me. If that is how it appeared in the field then - great - you captured what you saw and that is all anyone can ask.

The cat does look satiated! Good feed.

Tony Sparkes
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
No, I am not suggesting over saturation; it just appears muted or pastel to me. If that is how it appeared in the field then - great - you captured what you saw and that is all anyone can ask.

The cat does look satiated! Good feed.

Hi jay

Yes, this is what I saw, in-fact this was one of the cubs the mother disappeared off into the bush trying to draw away attention from them (2). A really great experience

Regards

Tony

PS thanks for the input:S3: