PDA

View Full Version : First Snowdrops!

Anita Bower
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Yay! These little snowdrops, the first of the season, brought joy to my day.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 7.1, 1/160, ISO 200, manual focus with Live View, manual exposure, tripod, outdoors.

PP: PS7, added one of my textures, High Pass sharpening on parts of flower, burn, denoise.

Brendan Dozier
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure I've seen a snowdrop flower before, but really like the softness of this image and the different shades of green & BG contrast nicely with the white flower. Also like the diagonal line of flower, placement of subject in frame and water beads. Looks kind of like a white gloved hand reaching out. Nicely done!

Norm Dulak
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Very nice Anita. And I think Brendan has pointed out the things that I especially like about this image.

If it were mine though, I think I'd eliminate some of the oof parts at the bottom of the plant, by judicious cropping. If that were done, I'd probably clone out the oof material at the lower right corner as well.
But this is a very good effort! :cheers:

Ken Childs
03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Anita, isn't this a wonderful time of year? I always forget just how fast plants and flowers emerge when the weather warms a few degrees. :S3:

This is a lovely little flower and I love the softness of this capture! The leaf on the center left feels too sharp and doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the image so if this were mine, I'd give it a heavy does of the blur tool. You might also consider cropping a sliver from the right, just to get the flower a bit more off center.

Patrick Sparkman
03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
It is great that all of the Northern hemisphere folks are getting out and chasing the flowers. What a fun time of the year, now we just need some more bugs. :bg3:

I love the flower portion of the image, but Ken nailed the suggested changes.

Anita Bower
03-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Always helpful to see my images through the eyes of others.
I've made the changes suggested by Ken, and the image is improved. Thanks, Ken!!

Chris Korman
03-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Nice softness feelings in this capture, I feel the composition is a little bit off because the in focus water drops tend to draw my eye off of the main subject. I think orbiting the camera downwards at the same focus distance but out of the upper plant's water drops would have better isolated the subject.

Anita Bower
03-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Nice softness feelings in this capture, I feel the composition is a little bit off because the in focus water drops tend to draw my eye off of the main subject. I think orbiting the camera downwards at the same focus distance but out of the upper plant's water drops would have better isolated the subject.

I know just what you mean. I was conflicted about those water drops on upper stem. I appreciate your feedback!

Roman Kurywczak
03-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Anita,
Down in warm Florida on tour so a bit late to the party! Ken really nailed my thoughts.....so if you made those changes.....works for me! I'll be away on tours most of March......so I am going to miss much of this wonderful time!:e3