PDA

View Full Version : Theme Royal Tern in flight

Andrew McLachlan
03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
A Royal Tern in flight photographed on Cayo Santa Maria in Cuba. Using my slow to focus 80-400 VR lens I discovered that if I tracked the terns from a good distance away the lens was able to keep up with the birds a little better.

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 400 (600mm effective)
f5.6 @ 1/1500 second
handheld

Look forward to comments.

Clemens Vanderwerf
03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Although the tern is looking towards you, I would not place it so far right in the frame. Putting the bird in the middle would work better for me. As placed he is flying out of the frame. The blue of the sky can be toned down a little imo. Would qualify for the theme of the month.

Peter Farrell
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
A nice flight capture. I agree with Clemens suggestion on composition. I might try toning down the brightest whites a little and add a little sharpening to the head.
Peter

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
How nice of this tern to give you a straight down the barrel look! I agree the comp could be strenghtened by repositioning the subject, and I also agree the blues are too strong (too "electric"). Those wings are very elegant, and I like the subtle details you got on them.

Andrew McLachlan
03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for comments guys. I'll tone down the sky and move the bird back. I did have it in the center, but thought it might look a little better off to the side with the bird looking back towards the center.