View Full Version : Monarch butterfly

Allen Sparks
03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 300 f4 plus 1.4 TC, monopod
ISO 400, 1/400s, f14, EC -1/3

A shot from last summer....

Chris Korman
03-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Great contrasts in colors. The patterns in the butterfly wings are really nice to study as well. The OOF BG really meshes well with the photo. I may wish to see a bit more of the stem of the flower as the picture is "vertically" oriented. I might back off on the amount of sharpening for web a little bit, as I see some slight harshness on some edges.

Grady Weed
03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Butterflies make beautiful macro subjects, even if you use the 300 with the 1.4. This subject is in good shape, an important point if you want o make a good image of these guys. Nice alignment with the focal plane. I do see some slight noise, but not too too bad. Good colors and nice contrasting perch.

Jerry van Dijk
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Very nice, Allen! All good points already mentioned. I do find the light a bit harsh.

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey Allen,
Nice to have you back! I agree with the comments about the light......but you handled it very well! Colors look VG.......and do agree about running a bit of NR on the BG.

Brendan Dozier
03-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Very nice colors and comp here, Allen. Even though there is some noise, the soft green BG really makes the warmer colors of subject pop. Good job managing the exp. with the light.

Ken Childs
03-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Allen,

Good points have already been made but I'll add that if this were mine, I'd try a slight CW rotation. I can hardly wait for these things to start flying! :S3:

Marcin Biskupek
03-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi Allen.
As for me the BG is little to bright.
I like the shape that is made by butterfly and the flower (almost perfect triangle).
The butterfly itself is also very interesting - i didn't see one like this with white spots all over it :"))
Like Ken i can't wait to see them all around me... wanna shoot them.. with camera of course !! :"))