PDA

View Full Version : Theme (Almost) head-on Lesser Scaup

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-01-2011, 04:25 PM
40D. 400f5.6L at f/8. iso 320. 1/640s.

Not a perfect head-on but almost there. With the light direction as it was, perfect head-on might not have worked. I had posted the traditional shot of the same bird last week.

All comments welcome.

Clemens Vanderwerf
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice one Kaustubh. Killer background. Agree with you own remarks. Would be nice to see a perfect one , though!

Duane Noblick
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Love the low angle and the light. Excellent detail in the blacks.

Daniel Cadieux
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I like the low angle as per usual, but would have preferred more vgen lighting on the subject's face and bill.

Do these guys come in for food (legally) at this location? It would be fun to get one swimming fast directly towards you!:c3:

Jim Crosswell
03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Just a little turn of the head would be perfect but still a beauty Kaustubh. I like the low angle and BG.

James Salywoda
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Excellent pose and low perspective Kaustubh the bg colors really go nicely with this duck. Awesome Shot!

Randy Stout
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Kaustubh:

Interesting spot light effect, but overall i agree with Daniel that a bit more even lighting would make it stronger.

Excellent low shooting angle as usual.

Cheers

Randy

Greg Basco
03-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Kaustubh, I like the soft, directional lighting here. To me the shadowed side makes the lit eye pop even more. The low angle really worked well with the FG and BG.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I like the low angle as per usual, but would have preferred more vgen lighting on the subject's face and bill.

Do these guys come in for food (legally) at this location? It would be fun to get one swimming fast directly towards you!:c3:

Daniel, yes, they do come in for food. But I usually don't throw anything as that brings in waay too many ducks, coots and gulls to handle. I prefer to just lie down low and quiet and wait for a few birds to come close slowly...that way, along with clean BG-FG, I also get calm water.

Pieter de Waal
03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Nice low angle Kaustubh, I quite like the spotlight effect across the eyes. Good dof has helped with the sharpness on the bill. I love your trademark BG in this series.