PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake

Nick Palmieri
02-28-2011, 08:22 AM
This was taken yesterday morning in the NY Adirondacks. 100mm macro lens with three stacked extension tubes, ISO 200, f/16, 1/2s, with BG flashed. Essentially caught this flake on glass, cleaned the other flakes from around it with an artist brush, had set-up BG with a blue seat cushion and the flash aimed upward toward the BG at -1 1/3, exposure was a lot of trial and error. It's a large crop (these flakes are very tiny!) with some levels and sharpening in PS...There may be a few flakes stacked on top each other which is why it has a layered look to it.

Roman Kurywczak
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey Nick,
Yep.....looks like 2 flakes attached........but it is still pretty sharp at that magnification! I think your BG color choice works pretty well but I know the difficulty in getting these.......so you did pretty well all around! Nice to see you haven't given up on trying these.......you are getting close!

Jay Sheinfield
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Cool capture..............tough shots, and you did well. Just my preference, where a shape is a bit longer
than wide, I like a portrait orientation. Nice as presented............

Brendan Dozier
02-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Great looking snowflake image, Nick. Nice detail and blue BG really makes it pop. Would not have known it was layered if you had not mentioned it. Well done!

Dave Leroy
03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
It is quite amazing if it is two flakes stacked. The centre is spot on perfect.

I really like the choice of bg colour.

Lovely detail as well.

Dave

Marcin Biskupek
03-01-2011, 01:46 AM
It's beautiful!! Both picture and your subject.

Ken Childs
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Nick, excellent work on this one and thanks for sharing your process! There are a few spots here and there on the BG that should be easy to clean up and I think you could go another round of sharpening....maybe high pass would be worth a try. I like the idea of a portrait crop. :S3: