PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Cemetery

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Graves of Confederate soldiers in our local historic Friendship Cemetery. I liked the shadows from the late afternoon sun.
5D 2
f8
1/500
ISO 200

Chris Korman
02-28-2011, 01:58 AM
I liked the shadows from the late afternoon sun.

I think this might bring out the shadows more, I also made it B&W as I am not sure there is that much color in the scene to begin with, click to download the psd for the edits.

http://webs.lanset.com/hypoploi/jpeg/IMG_4618BPN-edit.jpg (http://webs.lanset.com/hypoploi/jpeg/IMG_4618BPN-edit.psd)

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks Chris - I have a black and white version also. It has a little tint to it for a more antique effect. I pushed the whites up as much as I could without blowing them and darkened the shadows.

Hazel Grant
02-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Like the shadows. Think I like the repost better. Do you have one that you knelt down to get a bit lower with the camera? Might have made the shadows even longer. Not sure. good shot.

Roman Kurywczak
02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey Judy,
I like the sepia tone.....gives it a vintage look which IMO adds to the scene.....might even play it up more! Originally I thought of a cropp off the right to pull the headstone off the center comp but I didn't like the way that looked. The more I explored this one, the more I felt only a repositioning could get the stones offset but I also liked the symmetry of the op and the way you have pretty good seperation in most of the stones. The shadows are key in this one.....add a great sense of depth and mood. I'm partial to the op......so that would be my choice!

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Like the shadows. Think I like the repost better. Do you have one that you knelt down to get a bit lower with the camera? Might have made the shadows even longer. Not sure. good shot.
Thanks Hazel. No, I didn't kneel down in the snow to get a better shot. Unfortunately I'm about too old and decrepit for that anyway. :e3

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Judy,
I like the sepia tone.....gives it a vintage look which IMO adds to the scene.....might even play it up more! Originally I thought of a cropp off the right to pull the headstone off the center comp but I didn't like the way that looked. The more I explored this one, the more I felt only a repositioning could get the stones offset but I also liked the symmetry of the op and the way you have pretty good seperation in most of the stones. The shadows are key in this one.....add a great sense of depth and mood. I'm partial to the op......so that would be my choice!

Thanks Roman. I also think it is allowed to have the main subject centered when photographing a symmetrical scene.

Robert Amoruso
02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I to go with the OP Judy.

Dave Mills
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Judy, I like the OP and the sepia toned image. I noticed that the sepia image actually brought out more detail in the snow. The OP due it's starkness seems to have more contrast which these type of images generally call for. Nice symetry!!

Nick Palmieri
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
One more vote for the OP. Nice job with this one.

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I darkened the shadows a little more in the sepia.

Hazel Grant
02-28-2011, 03:00 PM
oops re kneeling in the snow. Thought maybe there might have been something you could get down on, or sit on, etc. I know there's been a good bit of 'talk' on this website re getting to eye level for a new perspective and I've been trying that (we don't have much snow here) and so that was on my mind. Getting to a lower level does give a different perspective. Not negating what you did. I like the shadows and the OP....just a suggestion maybe for other shots to try. I'm finding a new eye with that.

Judy Howle
02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
oops re kneeling in the snow. Thought maybe there might have been something you could get down on, or sit on, etc. I know there's been a good bit of 'talk' on this website re getting to eye level for a new perspective and I've been trying that (we don't have much snow here) and so that was on my mind. Getting to a lower level does give a different perspective. Not negating what you did. I like the shadows and the OP....just a suggestion maybe for other shots to try. I'm finding a new eye with that.
I totally agree with what you said, no offense taken. I used to do that all the time till I lost my balance trying to get up and hurt my knee and my camera landed on concrete when I fell over. Fortunately when I re-seated the lens it worked fine, but my knee took a bit longer to recuperate. I was on vacation in Seattle and trying to photograph some flowers.

dankearl
03-01-2011, 01:09 AM
The original works best for me. The b&w and sepia look forced, the op has a nice soft natural feel.
A nice composition also.

Andrew McLachlan
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Judy, nicely composed. My vote goes for the sepia toned version.