Sid Garige
02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Estero Lagoon
Canon 7D 500mm F4
F8 1/1600

annmpacheco
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi Sid,
I like the high key effect here. Good pose, like the vertical and the sharpness. beautiful colors. TFS, ann

Clemens Vanderwerf
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Nice BKGD and exposure. Beautiful details in the neck. HA could be better.

ChasMcRae
02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I like the lighting-even all over -high clouds ?
Great detail of portrait and nice smooth background all emphasizing the subject.
I Probably preferred body more profile and then head turn however after looking closer this may have put more of the shadow on the back of the bird.

Tom Redd
02-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Sid, beautiful shot, excellent BG, color, details and exposure. I agree that the HA could be a bit better, but I will take this HA over the shadow that more turn of the head would have caused - as Charles noted. Well done! Excellent shoot this weekend and thank you for the Charity Avian Workshop!

Daniel Cadieux
02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
HA looks good to me, as does the rest of the image. Had the heron raised its necjk a wee bit the shadow on the back may have disappeared...but just an all around stunning portrait.

Todd Frost
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Very well done Sid. As I am not a member of the HA police or a follower of their preaching, HA looks fine to me. It amazes me how hung up some are with this, obvious is one thing but... :2eyes2:. Agree with Daniel here, an all around stunning portrait.
TFS
Todd

Levina de Ruijter
02-27-2011, 10:46 PM
A beautiful portrait. I love the pastel like quality of the colours. Stunning indeed.

Sid Garige
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Sid, beautiful shot, excellent BG, color, details and exposure. I agree that the HA could be a bit better, but I will take this HA over the shadow that more turn of the head would have caused - as Charles noted. Well done! Excellent shoot this weekend and thank you for the Charity Avian Workshop!

Tom,

Always a pleasure. Thanks for the great company.

-Sid

Joerg Rockenberger
02-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Great portrait.

Chris Korman
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I like the framing and pose, though I do wish to know why you chose to clip the plumage coming off the base of the neck. I am curious to know if you had framed it to originally include, but then moved up to include more room above the head.

Dave Leroy
02-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Interesting bg. It is very light and blends with bird and yet is very effective.

I have opportunities to shoot lots of these and yet i never seem to get them right.

I really like this one and perhaps you have given me some encouragement!!

Dof works very well with slightly angled bird.

Very well done.

Dave

Sid Garige
02-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I like the framing and pose, though I do wish to know why you chose to clip the plumage coming off the base of the neck. I am curious to know if you had framed it to originally include, but then moved up to include more room above the head.

Chris,
Intent was to make a tight vertical portrait of the subject. Plumes at the base of the neck kind of extend all the way to the legs. Since I was looking for a tight portrait I did not want to include the legs. That is the reason behind cutting the plumes at the bottom of the frame.

I always shoot with little bit of space around for stock images and crop my final version out of it. Here is the original out of camera.

Chris Korman
02-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Sid, thank you for the anatomy lesson on this one :) , I had thought the plumage might not extend to the legs. I now appreciate your decision to crop it there.

Stu Bowie
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Great detail Sid, and I like the angled pose. The colour in the BG compliments the heron nicely.

denise ippolito
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Sid, Very nicely cropped and I like the pose and sharp details.

Vivaldo Damilano
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
This bird looks similar to our Grey Heron, have a look at my post today. I like the tight crop Sid, head angle, plain BG and good detail. Great portrait TFS:cheers::cheers:

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Sidd, excellent tight portrait with some sharp details. A little tighter from bottom might work as well.

Don Lacy
02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Lovely image Sid the BG compliments the subject nicely and I think you cropped it perfect.