PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood Visitor

Jay Taylor
03-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure if it has established the utility pole in the alley way behind my house as a feeding post, but I've had the privilege of observing this wonderful little raptor on several occasions now. I've been able to view it from our bedroom window where I have a decent vantage point (with the exception of the lighting and background) to capture a few images.
I think it is a Merlin because of its smaller size and that I've seen it feeding on other birds here.
This particular image was rendered during AM hours on an a partly overcast day using the new Pentax K20D/FA*250-600/5.6 + 1.4XL rear adapter. Multi-segment metering, 1/180s f/8.0 at 800.0mm iso800. I think I was using either a monopod or window ledge for support. I realize the lack of a background is not that great and the sharpness has suffered as a result of the TC on the zoom lens. Hopefully if I have another chance I can set up the tripod.
Any other tips or critique is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

LeeOtsubo
03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi Jay,
Beautiful bird and the BG makes it look like he was in your studio! I particularly like the stump with the green moss and bits of "dinner".

I'm not familiar with the Pentax 20D (I have a soft spot for Pentax because that was my first real 35mm SLR back in the '60s) but this image seemed a bit soft. I hope you don't mind but I pulled it into Photoshop Elements 5 (which was already open on my desktop) and hit it with Focus Magic set to 1 pixel width and 150%. I got nearly the same effect with USM 150%, radius 1.7 and threshhold 1.0. Focus Magic is a plug-in that works with both PSE and PS CSx. It's really handy for quick fixes.

I should have run it through some noise reduction after sharpening but got lazy.

Alfred Forns
03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Great assist Lee !!! I like the re post I like the increase in mid density contrast and enhancements for sharpness!!

I like the pose very much and do think the bg looks excellent High Key images are among my favorites Would suggest staying away from the extender It is not the best solution for those zooms Might consider getting closer by other means !!!