PDA

View Full Version : Ring necked duck

Sidharth Kodikal
02-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Canon 1D4, 300 f2.8 + 2x TC
1/1000, f8, iso 640, flash -1 ev

Sorry for the lack of participation. Work has kept me away from birding and participating for the last couple months.
Kaustubh's sweet duck images had me craving for some images of my own.
I found a pond close to home but the ducks have been extremely skittish, not allowing me any close encounters. I succeeded in sneaking up on them just once out of over two weeks of daily trials. I have since given up on this pond as I end up disturbing them more often than not.
Wish for more room on the sides and wish I had stopped down some more.
I have tried to make the most of the harsh light here.
All feedback appreciated.

Thanks

ChasMcRae
02-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Like the water color along with contrasting background.
Like the bad hair day feather look as most pics of this bird I see have a smooth slicked back look.
Head feathers look a little soft either from blowing or lack of depth of field you mentioned.
Low level image also helps .

Randy Stout
02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Sidharth:

Good comments from Chas. The ruffled feathers are rather fun.

Wish there was a bit more room in front.

Glad you have been able to get out and shoot a bit.

Keep working them!

Cheers

Randy

John Guastella
02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
A lovely shot, Sid. Beautiful BG, nice low angle, good detail. I see what you mean about stopping down, as the bird's rear is out of the focal range. This happens to me often when the ducks are swimming towards me at an angle - in the heat of the moment I forget how narrow the DOF can be with the superteles.

I don't feel the crop is overly tight, but you could probably add some canvas to both sides and clone in BG and FG without it being too obvious.

John

James Salywoda
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Beautiful colors and low angle I think I would hit this with a touch more sharpening for web presentation.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. This one is straight out of the camera. I will apply some sharpening to it.
John, I will try my hand at the canvas extension too. Thanks again.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Sidharth, you know I like these. Ring-necked are very difficult to get within reach here. So pat yourself on the back :-) Excellent exposure, FG and BG. Yes, selective sharpening of the bird will help a lot.