PDA

View Full Version : red-breasted merganser at Barnegat jetty

annmpacheco
02-25-2011, 09:34 PM
First trip out on the jetty. Conditions were great, tide was low so I could walk on the sand or chance fate and walk the massive rocks. Surface was dry and I was on the hunt for those Harlequin ducks... I was able to snap up a sequence of flight shots as this drake flew by, a hen soon followed.
Canon 7D 100-400mmm lens, 400mm ISO 400, f10, ss 1250. Al servo AF

Any suggestions to help me with this in flight image? thank you, ann

Julie Kenward
02-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Ann, I think you did really well here! A lower angle would have been better but I'm sure you did the best you could with your circumstances. I'd encourage you to check the whites and make sure you don't have any spikes on the right side of the histogram as I don't see quite as much detail there as I do in the blacks.

Peter Farrell
02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice flight capture, Ann. I agree that the whites look hot but other than that a nice image.
Peter

Bill Dix
02-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Terrific capture, Ann. These guys fly REALLY fast, demonstrating your good panning skills. Possibly hot whites noted above. My only other thought: I've sometimes found that by cleaning up the eye (zooming way in and using the Clone tool to get better definition to the catchlight and the pupil), the whole bird somehow seems sharper. Doesn't always work but might be worth a try. I love the stretched out, wings-down position.