PDA

View Full Version : On the Beach

Emory Moody
01-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I was on the beach at Jekyll Island, GA last week-end and was able to capture this image of an immature Ring-billed Gull. I took this about 4 in the afternoon with just enough fog to really diffuse the sun and give some really lovely light. I also reframed this as a horizontal, but for me the vertical was the more effective image.
Technical INFO
Camera Model: NIKON D3
Shutter speed: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -2/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Lens: 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Focal length: 300mm
Focal length: 300mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Lance Warley
01-04-2008, 08:55 AM
The gull and its reflection are beautiful.

If you have the pixels, I would crop a lot off the top, because I don't think it adds anything. It also will create more of the viewer's focus on the details in the gull, which you've captured beautifully.

Ken Kovak
01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Emory,

I enjoy shooting gulls as well, but I don't see them posted in forums very often.

I think you could have improved this image by shooting from a lower angle. You still would have kept the reflection which is key to this image, but it might have allowed you to eliminate some of the large area of water above the gull. On this monitor (uncalibrated old CRT) the gull looks a bit soft and perhaps a bit underexposed, but that may be due to this monitor. Some fill flash may have helped by giving a catchlight in the eye.

Keep shooting those Gulls!

Ken Kovak

Daniel Cadieux
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I really like the textures in the mud. A lower angle would definately be a better approach for a more pleasing result. Gulls are the perfect practice subjects (exposure control, panning, habitat shots, close-ups...you name it and they can readily and easily be used in any situation!!)

Andrew McCullough
01-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Love the light and the pattern in the bg. Would like a lower shooting angle and less room on the top.