Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Techs:

50D, 1/5.6, 1/1250 sec, ISO 400, 0 Step, 400mm, CWA, Subj Dist 18.1m,
Aperture Priority.

C/C more than welcomed!

WIlliam Maroldo
02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Oscar. It is difficult to evaluate detail on such a small image; you know you can go up tp 1024 px x 800px? In any case with the image presented, it could be the image size or because it is a large crop, seems somewhat soft and lacking the feather detail I would expect at 1/1250 sec. Exposure and position of the bird looks good though. It is my personal opinion but although square formats do have a place, very often the often dynamic advantages of either horizontal or vertical formats are lost by a square format. The "virtual" legs are clipped; you need to provide space for them even if they are not visible in the image.
regards~Bill

Julie Kenward
02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Oscar, you have your resolution set at 240 and it only needs to be 72 for the web. Please resize your image so the dimensions are larger and the resolution is lower and then we'll better be able to evaluate the image. If you need help learning how to do this let me know and I'll walk you through it. Thanks!

Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
02-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Oscar, you have your resolution set at 240 and it only needs to be 72 for the web. Please resize your image so the dimensions are larger and the resolution is lower and then we'll better be able to evaluate the image. If you need help learning how to do this let me know and I'll walk you through it. Thanks!

Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it! I have had some previous issues with my image dimensions which affected the ability of others to properly evaluated. As the title of the forum says: I am eager to learn! Thanks.

Oscar

Julie Kenward
02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I know I wrote this up somewhere else but here goes:

To get an image that is close to what you want for BPN, size it anywhere between an 8x10 and an 11x14. Now in Photoshop go up to Image/Image Size and click on that to open up the dialog box.

In the middle area called "Document Size" click on "Resolution" and enter "72".

Now look up at the top area called "Pixel Dimensions" and you should be inside the 1024 long and 800 high size at that point. If not, lower your dimensions again to get it under that pixel size.

Make sure that all three boxes at the bottom of the dialog box ALL have checkmarks in them, then go to the very bottom drop down box and choose "Bicubic Sharper". Click on "Okay". This will shrink the size of your image that you see on screen but don't worry.

Click on the zoom tool and the toolbar at the top will have an option that says, "Print Size." Click on that. This is what size the image will show up as when it is uploaded and now it is ready for any additional sharpening that you may want to do.

Note: Do NOT sharpen your image before you start this process! It will sharpen it some when it resizes it and then you can sharpen it again at the very end if the image needs it. Save your file as a web version or in a BPN folder so it doesn't get confused with your full size images.

That's all there is to it! And that will give us an image large enough that we can see all the details. :S3:

Oscar Vazquez-Ortiz
02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I know I wrote this up somewhere else but here goes:

To get an image that is close to what you want for BPN, size it anywhere between an 8x10 and an 11x14. Now in Photoshop go up to Image/Image Size and click on that to open up the dialog box.

In the middle area called "Document Size" click on "Resolution" and enter "72".

Now look up at the top area called "Pixel Dimensions" and you should be inside the 1024 long and 800 high size at that point. If not, lower your dimensions again to get it under that pixel size.

Make sure that all three boxes at the bottom of the dialog box ALL have checkmarks in them, then go to the very bottom drop down box and choose "Bicubic Sharper". Click on "Okay". This will shrink the size of your image that you see on screen but don't worry.

Click on the zoom tool and the toolbar at the top will have an option that says, "Print Size." Click on that. This is what size the image will show up as when it is uploaded and now it is ready for any additional sharpening that you may want to do.

Note: Do NOT sharpen your image before you start this process! It will sharpen it some when it resizes it and then you can sharpen it again at the very end if the image needs it. Save your file as a web version or in a BPN folder so it doesn't get confused with your full size images.

That's all there is to it! And that will give us an image large enough that we can see all the details. :S3:

Thanks....really appreciate your taking the time to do this tutorial. Will try it ASAP!