PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone shoot a 1DSMKIII for BIF?

Jim Fenton
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I will do some research this weekend as I'm guessing the FPS might be too slow, but does anyone have any real time experience?

Robert O'Toole
03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Arthur Morris, AFAIK he loves it.

Used my 1DSMKII for years with great results. I usually dont keep the trigger down with flight.

Robert

Alfred Forns
03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Artie relies heavily on his 1DsMk3 Tomorrow he will be shooting spoons with James and that is all he will be taking with him

The frame rate is not all that bad and will do for most situations !!!!

Grady Weed
03-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Robert,

Can you reply as to "why" you do not hold the trigger down on BIF? I always thought that you should. Although I do not do much BIF, would like to but don't.

Just curious. I use my MK2n and a 5d with 300 2.8, 100-400, 28-135, 100mm macro, all L glass with IS for reference.

Robert O'Toole
03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Robert,

Can you reply as to "why" you do not hold the trigger down on BIF? I always thought that you should.

Just curious.

In a situation when I am shooting BIF with a 1DS and 70-200,100-400, or 400 I tend to wait for the bird to fill the frame and fire off 1 or 2 images.
When I started shooting BIF years ago I would just aim and shoot a dozen images rapid fire, hoping to get a few sharp with unclipped wings.
Now years later when I raise the camera to my eye I compose and frame (with 45 point), glance over to check the exposure scale (make an adjustment if needed with the bird still framed), zoom, then wait for the bank shot, or for the t-shot for the frame to fill than take 1 image, or maybe 2.
I tend not to shoot as much as most people. Sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by the paparazzi when I am out shooting birds.

When I am shooting with longer lenses, 500 or 600, I usually do shoot more bursts of BIF than single images.

Robert

George DeCamp
03-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I know Artie uses it and I am pretty sure Chas does as well.

Toomas Ili
03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
A few friends of mine own the 1Ds M3 and some of them are experiencing the same kind of issues in AI Servo mode, as the unfixed 1D M3-s. How's Arties copy? Al and Fabs, when shooting with Artie side by side, (BIF for example) how would you evaluate the 1Ds M3-s keeper rate versus your Nikon D3's?

Jim Neiger
03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I spent a morning shooting with Artie's 1DS3. There were no focus problems and the frame rate while slow isn't really a problem. The problem is its very easy to fill the buffer and the large images result in a long wait while it writes images to the card. The full frame format is also not ideal for BIF. The 1D3 is a much better tool for BIF, IMO. There are also times when a 10 frame per second frame rate and a 30 image buffer comes in very handy.

Bob Blanchard
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I currently own a 1DsMII, and shoot flight all the time with it. I used Artie's 1DsMIII while on the SWF IPT last week, and found it to be significantly better for BIF than my MII. The buffer is a significant step up from the MII. It seems faster too. I saw zero focusing issues with BIF on the MIII. As JIm mentioned, the 1D3 is a superior tool for BIF.....BUT....When you nail one with the 1Ds, there is nothing better.

Charles Glatzer
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Jim,

I have been shooting with 2 IDS Mark III bodies for the past few months. While the AF in AIS is better than the NO LESS THAN FOUR Mark III bodies I had owned, they are not on par with the AF lock-on and tracking of the Mark IIN. The buffer and frame rate can be a bit debilitating if you are a rapid burst kind of guy. I am for the most part very discriminating when pulling the trigger. However, there are times when I could benefit from the burst and buffer rate of the Mark III or N when shooting within my "window of opportunity".

Best,

Chas

Jim Neiger
03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Jim,

I have been shooting with 2 IDS Mark III bodies for the past few months. While the AF in AIS is better than the NO LESS THAN FOUR Mark III bodies I had owned, they are not on par with the AF lock-on and tracking of the Mark IIN. The buffer and frame rate can be a bit debilitating if you are a rapid burst kind of guy. I am for the most part very discriminating when pulling the trigger. However, there are times when I could benefit from the burst and buffer rate of the Mark III or N when shooting within my "window of opportunity".

Best,

Chas

Hi Chas,

I feel your pain with the 1D3s. I have been very lucky to have one that worked from the begining. I totaly love my 1D3 and it just blows away my 1D2N.

I did enjoy the morning I spent with Artie's 1DS3, but I actualy like the image quality of the 1D3 better.

Charles Glatzer
03-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Jim,

I will no longer debate the Mark III issue(s), suffice to say I am glad you are happy with your camera.

Best,

Chas

Steve Metildi
03-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Jim, what did you like better about the image quality of the 1DIII vs. the 1DsIII?

Steve

Charles Glatzer
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Steve,

I see slightly higher noise at ISO 800 and above in the 1DS Mark III. The image detail is astounding.

Chas

Steve Metildi
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks Chas. I've thought of getting one of these now that they are available and don't seem to have the problems of the 1DIII.

Steve

Charles Glatzer
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Steve,

REREAD MY FIRST RESPONSE.

Chas

Steve Metildi
03-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Chas, I wouldn't buy the DsIII for the primary purpose of birds in flight or fast action and still have a MKIIN and a MKIII (one of which I'll be selling soon) which I'd use in those situations.

Steve