PDA

View Full Version : White Sky Tundras

Arthur Morris
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
The Winter Wings Festival was great. You can check out five of my images from the first day at Klamath here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/02/21/blessed-again-which-is-your-favorite-image/)--the place was amazingly productive, and peruse two white sky flight lessons here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/02/22/self-inflicted-travel-adventure-white-sky-flight-lessons/).

This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/1600 sec. at f/9 set manually.

One out of place bird was removed after the pano crop was made.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: Yeah, the rest of the two rear birds would have been nice :)

Randy Stout
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Artie:

Really like the hint of trees or mountains in the lower background, helps to anchor the image.

Well exposed. I agree with your self critique, and would prefer not to have the two birds chopped off.
Even though they are 'cut, not clipped' I think the image would be more effective without them.

Sounds like a great time was had at Klamath.

Safe travels.

Cheers

Randy

Don Railton
02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Artie

I like the image but I also feel it would be better with the two 'chopped' bird removed. Is there a reason why you have removed one 'out of place' bird but not removed these two rear birds? There would be a bit of wing tip repair required but that not so difficult..

DON RAILTON

Tom Rambaut
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't mind the chopped off birds - if it had been there behinds showing - No... not flying backwards but leaving the frame on the left - than I would maybe take them out.

Must be mountains in the background? TFS

Grace Scalzo
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Personally, I don't see the two birds as "clipped" but rather entering the frame. To my eye they give a sense of movement to the image and I rather like it as is.

Arthur Morris
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I am with Grace and Tom :) I feel that the image is much stronger with the two birds entering the frame; it seems to imply that there are more troops behind them. The bird that was removed totally wrecked the balance.

It is 7:16 Central Time. I am in DFW. I left Klamath Falls, OR at 3:49 am PST and will not be in Orlando until after midnight. For the whole somewhat embarrassing story click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/02/22/self-inflicted-travel-adventure-white-sky-flight-lessons/).

James Salywoda
02-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Very nice as presented but I do think it would of been better if the other clipped birds were in the frame.

Doug Brown
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll be honest. This image doesn't do much for me Artie. Wing position isn't particularly great on any of the birds, the separation between birds is a little tight, and I'm not a big fan of the clipped birds on the right. I do like the hint of snow-covered mountains at the bottom of the frame though.

Arthur Morris
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Heck, I rather like it. Either it's because I have nothing on this species or I need my eyes checked :) Thanks all for commenting.