PDA

View Full Version : Nxai Pan ellies no2

Vivaldo Damilano
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Second of the series, to be honest I personally like the space in the first image and sky.
Nikon D3s 70-200 VRII at 70mm. 1/60 at F11 ISO 200.

Morkel Erasmus
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
both are very nice Vivaldo - I dig the detail and interaction of the ellies more in this one, and the sun is more prominent. just enough detail to be a stunner

Ken Watkins
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Vivaldo,

I much prefer the irst post, in this one the sun is a little too dominant, but the colours are better and the Elephants sharper.

Marc Mol
02-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Like the overall setting here Viv, with just enough detail in the Ele's, might reduce the pink colour setting on the FG & Ele's for mine.
TFS

Grant Atkinson
02-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Hi Vivaldo, i see this one and your earlier post as two different shots completely. Good thinking to change lenses completely for the same sighting. I find this a strong image due to the colours, and I really like the backlit dust highlighting the two elephants facing each other. It is a nice moody shot.. Keep on posting these kind of images...
Did you try out any other options at 200mm or with your longer lens even at the sighting?
cheers
Grant

Vivaldo Damilano
02-23-2011, 03:01 AM
THanks for comments :S3: Grant I should have tried a long lens but was going for the whole scene with the sun. I tried the wide angle in the first image and then went a bit closer one in the second image. I will have a look through the file, maybe I have some a bit closer. I am sure a close-up of the Elephant with the dust could have worked very nicely.

Hilary Hann
02-23-2011, 05:02 AM
I have to agree with Grant here, the two images present quite differently and I do like both.

This one has beautiful light reflecting on the dust around the elephants' feet and you have kept an interesting amount of detail in the animals. Beautiful image.

Russell Johnson
02-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Good ele scape. I am sure you have a range at different focal lengths.

I imagine that area is now heavily flooded after last months rain :t3

Robert Amoruso
02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Vivaldo, I agree that each image is a much different feel and thus works in their own right.

Grant Atkinson
02-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi Russell, just to offer an answer to your rainfall question, although we had lots of early rain in December and January, this month (February) has been much drier than the average, and so far we have had only a few small showers. Here in the north (Savuti and Maun), much of the standing water in the pools and puddles is dried up already...
I think Nxai should be quite similar and very nice now actually...though should be lots of tall grass around
Hope that helps
Cheers
grant

Russell Johnson
02-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Hi Russell, just to offer an answer to your rainfall question, although we had lots of early rain in December and January, this month (February) has been much drier than the average, and so far we have had only a few small showers. Here in the north (Savuti and Maun), much of the standing water in the pools and puddles is dried up already...
I think Nxai should be quite similar and very nice now actually...though should be lots of tall grass around
Hope that helps
Cheers
grant

Thanks for that, Grant.

I have been looking at the water levels/rainfall at ORI too, they have fallen quite a bit.

Good to hear the standing water disappeared; though those tall grasses could cause an issue come September....

Todd Frost
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Agree with above comments on the two images being different enough and both strong images. I am with you and prefer the first image of this series, although I would love to have them both in my files :bg3:. Lovely colors and comp. Well done.
TFS
Todd