PDA

View Full Version : Black Kite

John Harper
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi There

Well normally I head to HCT on a Saturday for my weekly fix of birds in flight, but the weather forecast is not great for Sat or Sun and as it was a Bank Holiday over here I thought I would take a trip today instead. In between dodging rain showers and sheltering from at times gale force wind I did manage to get some shots.

Today was the start of the official summer season flying display and it was the 1st day using the newly built tiered seating at the Valley of the Eagles display. If you are sat at the back you are some 10 feet or so above the ground and it makes shots of birds either at just about your eye level or even looking down on them a possibilty.

Once the weather improves i think it will make an excellent arena for photos, and I look forward to posting some shots over the coming weeks from this new display seating.

Shot above is of a European Black Kite taken from this new seating area, and it certainly reduces the angle that you view these birds from. With the right conditions you will be able to shoot at eye level.

John

EOS 1DMKIII
EF 500 F4L
ISO 640
1/2500 @ F5

Alfred Forns
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm impressed John Great angle showing the best for this species !!!! Love the banking dorsal images I like everything about this image !!!! Big Congrats and looking forward to more !!!!

Lana Hays
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
John
Well I thought I commented on this one this morning.....guess I hit the wrong button. An excellent banking image.....and such great detail. The blue sky really compliments the colors......and yet another winner. Thanks for the info on the new location........I'm so jealous of your opportunities.

James Salywoda
03-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Awesome Shot! Excellent flight pose captured.

Kirk Benson
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Spectacular image John! What a gorgeous creature and you captured the perfect moment, I wouldn't change a thing. Very, very, well done.