PDA

View Full Version : ID Challenge

Patrick Sparkman
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Macro subjects (insects are my favorite) are still a few weeks off, so I played with something in the house. How about a little challenge. What is this?:c3:

I will reveal the subject, and lighting technique used in the next couple of days.

One thing I will reveal is that I only performed normal exposure and brightness adjustments.

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Perhaps a slice of a blood orange.

Patrick Sparkman
02-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Way to go Chris, that is exactly right! I guess it was not as interesting and abstract as I thought.

I did have fun making the image though. Since this is a very shiny surface, I used the cross-polarized flash technique. I put a polarizer on the lens, then taped polarizing film over each flash of the MT-24 flash heads, aligned perpendicular to the lens polarizer. This dramatically reduces the reflections. Attached is a shot without the cross-polarization.

Finally I put a third flash firing through a cut on the back of the orange to light up the inside.

Canon 5D II, MP-E65, MT-24 Flash, ISO 400, 1/200, f16

Brendan Dozier
02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, that really does dramatically reduce the reflections. Great illustration of how that technique works. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Very cool Patrick! If you have an old light table around.....works very well for backlighting too! Don't forget to post all the other specs too! Very nicely done!

Ken Childs
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey Patrick, that LLC gave it away although I think I would have figured it out even if you'd cropped that out. Last month I was playing with some frozen orange slices so the pattern was recognizable. :S3:

That lighting setup did work some magic. Thanks for telling us how you did it.

Dave Leroy
02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
What a difference between the two photos. It is like night and day.

Both are very well executed and thanks for sharing.

Dave