PDA

View Full Version : King of Costa Rica - Violet Sabrewing

Bill Holsten
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
This is the largest hummingbird species in Costa Rica and I have been trying for 4 years to capture a credible image of it. The principal challenge is exposure. The raw file, for this image, was significantly clipped, on both sides of the histogram and it took some LightRoom maneuvering to get it under control. The second challenge is that the bird is so large, that it is difficult to fit it and a flower into the frame and keep all elements within acceptable focus, when you are set up for a more modest sized hummingbird. I wish I could have had a bit of separation between the left wing and the flower, but I was pleased to get him hovering facing me with his tail feathers spread. Photographed 3 weeks ago at Bosque del Paz on workshop with Doug Brown and Greg Basco.

EOS 7D, 70/200 f2.8 at 135mm, 1/200", f/14, ISO 320 multi-flash setup

Comments welcome and encouraged,
Bill

Arsdel Fluesmeier
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Bill think you did very well. It does seem a bit oversaturated.

Gary Hamilton
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree with Arsdel's comments. I had the chance to see these gorgeous hummingbirds in Costa Rica but without the benefit of a multi-flash set up. Great to see that you finally got such a a nice image that you have been seeking for so long.

Gloria Archilla
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
What a wonderful shot of this beautiful hummingbird. I don't know, if it's too saturated as I have been amazed at how the colors change with hummingbirds with good light. Love the detail and color. Don't know much about multi flash setup, but it did a great job to freeze those wings at 1/200.

Charles Glatzer
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Bill,

Wonderful image.

Maryarena,

It is the duration of the flash that freezes the wings, not the shutter-speed.

Chas

RakeshDhareshwar
02-22-2011, 05:50 AM
You have nailed this one , Bill !! Slightly OS , but there is drama in this image !

Doug Brown
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Congrats on a great image of one of my favorite Costa Rican hummers Bill!

Daniel Cadieux
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not crazy about the two large pale circles in the BG, but all else looks great. Man, that flared tail makes this guy look even bigger! Well done:S3:

Gloria Archilla
02-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Charles, I have to learn more about this hummingbird setup with flash! Honestly, I know nothing :-) I just always try to get a fast shutter speed and sometimes use my Better Beamer. This image is so beautiful!!

Doug Brown
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Charles, I have to learn more about this hummingbird setup with flash! Honestly, I know nothing :-) I just always try to get a fast shutter speed and sometimes use my Better Beamer. This image is so beautiful!!

The working principle here is flash as main light. A total of four flashes were used in this setup. Three on the bird and the flower, and one on an artificial background. The camera is set to underexpose by at least 3 stops so that you get a black frame if you take a picture without flash. The amount of time that the flashes are illuminated becomes your effective shutter speed. These flashes were set in manual mode at 1/16 power. the effective shutter speed is roughly 1/10,000. That's how you freeze a hummingbird's wings at a shutter speed of 1/200. :S3:

Gloria Archilla
02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh my goodness! Four flashes and it looks so natural. I definitely will be saving all the information. I was planning on planting something to attract hummingbirds at my home. I might try that one day, but I only have three flashes.

Thank you very much, Doug!

Greg Basco
02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi, Bill. Congrats! I know you really wanted one of this guy so I'm very glad you got it. I normally prefer separation between bird and flower but this still seems to work for me here.

Daniel, I like the background because I think it goes with the lighting scheme -- but then again, it's my background so I'm a bit biased:w3

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Bill Holsten
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not crazy about the two large pale circles in the BG, but all else looks great. Man, that flared tail makes this guy look even bigger! Well done:S3:

Daniel, I know that circular bokeh in an image like this are either liked or disliked, with not many opinions in between. I had my choice of backgrounds for this setup, so obviously I fall into the "bokeh liking" group. I respect your opinion.

Thanks to all who viewed and commented on this image. I"ll admit to occasionally being a bit over zealous in my use of vibrance, again a subjective choice.

Bill