PDA

View Full Version : You can do it - Stacked Converters

James Shadle
02-20-2011, 11:12 PM
You can do it - Stacked Converters.
I tried this just for the heck of it and I was blown away.

Nikon D700, Sigma 300-800mm @ 800mm.
Kenko Pro 300 DG 2x stacked with a Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4X = 2240mm

ISO 800 1/320 @ F20, No VR -IS -VC -OS, just proper long lens technique.

Charles Glatzer
02-20-2011, 11:31 PM
James,

With a high shutter speed, plus enough light to stop down stacking can yield good results with proper tech, as you have illustrated. While the image presented looks fine here, in truth it lacks the fine detail of the stunning image you posted previously, as expected. That said, I am sure it is of publishable quality...:S3:

You know this, but others may not...shooting the image with one converter would most likely yield a sharper overall image, as a result of less mag, and higher shutter speed due to being able to use a wider f/stop. And, more often than not a lower ISO. Photography is often the Art of Compromise.

Best,

Chas

James Shadle
02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Photography is often the Art of Compromise.

Amen Brother!

John Chardine
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I think the result is exceedingly impressive, however you cut it.

Ed Erkes
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm extremely impressed with the quality of this image!! I've used the Nikon 1.4x on my 300-800 with good results but never considered trying to stack teleconverters. In your experience, how do the Kenko teleconverters compare to the Nikon converters?

James Shadle
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
The Kenkos do not AF on my 600mm AF-S and the Nikons will not fit my Sigma 300-800mm so tough to compare. Proof is in the pudding.
The Nikons are built like tanks, I can't say the same for the Kenko Pro 300 DGX Series (the sharpest Kenkos).

Kenny Wong
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Impressed. Now I can stack a TC1.4 and a Kenko 1.4 on my Sigma 800 f5.6. If a kenko 2x with a kenko 1.4 can give such an image, I will try to file off the iron pin to fit a TC20eIII with the TC1.4eII to the Sigma 800 to see if a similar result can be obtained.

Michael_Loizou
02-23-2011, 04:50 AM
With enough light you can probably get away with it BUT atmospheric conditions will affect the result + you might be able to get a better final result just by up-sizing the image using a software such as genuine fractals.

(http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_supertele_test-800-1200-1600.htm)

James Shadle
02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
With enough light you can probably get away with it BUT atmospheric conditions will affect the result + you might be able to get a better final result just by up-sizing the image using a software such as genuine fractals.

(http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_supertele_test-800-1200-1600.htm)

So would you say atmospheric conditions were OK for this image?

Michael_Loizou
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
So would you say atmospheric conditions were OK for this image?

No problem with your image, just a generic note from my experience when stacking teleconverters. Most of the times I found that using only the 2x and up-sizing would provide me with a better result than using the 2x + 1.4x

Experiences can of course vary.

thijs broekkamp
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Very nice result!

I'm curious how this works with some less high quality, less expensive lenses.

When the weather is good I will test my canon 300mm f4 with stacked converters.

Jay Gould
03-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Can't do that with the new Canon TCs III! They don't marry like the TCs II did; at least mine don't!

That turned out to be a surprise after I sold the IIs and bought the IIIs.

Michael_Loizou
03-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Yes, it is true that you cannot stack the III teleconverters.
You cannot physically even attach two III series TC's together.

You can attach a III series with a Kenko TC BUT the AF will not function ok. There is something in the III chip that does not allow stacking and that is why they did not even make it physically possible to stack them together with another III series TC.

Arthur Morris
03-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Can't do that with the new Canon TCs III! They don't marry like the TCs II did; at least mine don't!

That turned out to be a surprise after I sold the IIs and bought the IIIs.

The old simple solution works just fine: a 12mm extension tube between the TCs...... That's how I travel with them anyway and how I keep them in my vest.

Michael_Loizou
03-10-2011, 03:18 PM
The old simple solution works just fine: a 12mm extension tube between the TCs...... That's how I travel with them anyway and how I keep them in my vest.

Don't you lose infinity focus?

Jay Gould
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Artie; enjoy your hard work on the blog soooooooooo very much!!

If you put an ext tube between the 1.4 and the 2.0 (I already feel it in my bones that I am going to get into trouble with this question :e3) doesn't the tube kinda cancel out the benefits?

The tube is used to effectively bring that which is too close into focus by shortening the minimum focus distance; the extender is used to bring that which is further away closer by adding focal length.

Of course, at this point you are working with manual focus; how much will you gain by adding a 12mm tube to be able to add a 1.4 extender?

Back to you Mate; I will work on the principle that the only stupid question asked is the one you don't ask!

Arthur Morris
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't you lose infinity focus?

I can still focus on the sun. That is far enough away for me.... My understanding is that there is some "extra" built in.

Michael_Loizou
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I can still focus on the sun. That is far enough away for me.... My understanding is that there is some "extra" built in.

Thanks for letting me know.

BTW I just ordered your 7D guide, cannot wait to receive it and read it!