PDA

View Full Version : Reaching for the Light

Steve Maxson
02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
This is an image of melting frost on my sunroom window. 5D M2, MP-E 65 mm at about 3X, 0.5 sec, f/9, ISO 100, tripod, focusing rail, mirror lock, cable release. RAW file PP in CS5, selective color, saturation, brightness/contrast. I removed hundreds of tiny specs from the glass to clean up the background (maybe I should wash these windows more often :eek: :2eyes2:). I selected the melting frost and treated it separately from the background. I played around with brightness/contrast and selective color until I got something I liked - though it is clear that this could be presented in many different ways. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

christopher galeski
02-21-2011, 04:02 AM
very nice,its like melted metal,love it,thanks.

Julie Kenward
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Very metallic in feel, Steve! I'd consider cloning out the straight line on the edge of the right "finger" and maybe cloning/painting over that URC. Everything else looks fantastic! Great detail and it really makes you wonder what it is if you didn't know. Very cool!

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
This composition and subject really go together well. Just a thought, and no need to change what you've posted, but consider increasing the contrast and comparing the two styles.

Brendan Dozier
02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Very cool Steve, it does have a molten metal look to it. Interesting shape and like the composition, nice touch with PP to get that contrast. Agree with Jules suggestions. Well done!

Ken Childs
02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, it definitely takes me back to my 7th grade science class and the time we got to work with some mercury. :S3:

Even though it would wreck your title, I agree with Jules that this might look better without the bright URC. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Cool Steve! Liquid metal for sure! Besides the URC......this is very cool!

Steve Maxson
02-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It looks like the light area in the URC wasn't a big hit. :S3: It should be easy enough to remove. I'll need to think up a new title. :bg3: