PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Gold

Bill Randall
02-20-2011, 12:35 PM
A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. The highlights changed.

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Hello Bill,

Great color on the monolith. The shoreline makes for a nice leading line to the monolith.

I would try desaturate the red a bit as it appears to have blocked up the detail. I also feel that the image needs a CW rotation (water line in BG). I also tried and liked a Shadows/Highlights correction in PSCS5 where I used the highlights slider to darken the clouds and the mid-tone slider to lower cloud contrast and make them POP.

Dave Mills
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Bill, just a reminder to state the shooting specs which will help us better analyze your image. Agree with Robert's suggestions especially relating to the sky.The detail needs to be brought out.
I also notice there is dark areas around the rocks. Not 100% sure but looks like you were burning in those areas and over darkened. It doesn't look natural...

Tim Munsey
02-21-2011, 04:28 AM
Yep agree with the two posters, needs some attention to bring out the best of it.

Tim

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Hey Bill,
Yeah.....agree with above assesments. Many times with landscapes it's a pain too.....becuase we have to save at such low quality.......something didn't work in PP'ing or the save.....so just keep that in mind when re-posting.

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I am not sure if you burned and dodged, but I am seeing some odd dark haloing in the foreground large rocks. I also think pointing the camera down would have given the shot a less "head on" feel.

Bill Randall
02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
I am not sure if you burned and dodged, but I am seeing some odd dark haloing in the foreground large rocks. I also think pointing the camera down would have given the shot a less "head on" feel.
I am not sure what you mean here. Can you give me a little more info? No dodging or burning on the rocks. Not sure what is going on but other than some curves stuff not much more. Beats me. I don't remember the rocks looking like that.
Thanks, Bill

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I am not sure what you mean here. Can you give me a little more info? No dodging or burning on the rocks. Not sure what is going on but other than some curves stuff not much more. Beats me. I don't remember the rocks looking like that.
Thanks, Bill

http://webs.lanset.com/hypoploi/jpeg/Golden-stacks-edit.jpg

I've circled the areas in red.

Re: "head-on" There is a natural curve of the beach but it is abruptly cut b/c the camera is pointing largely straight forward as opposed to including the front curve of the beach.