PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Eye Level - White Pelican

Mark Hardymon
02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Taken last week at Little Estero on Artie's IPT
Nikon D3s, 600 F4 with 1.4tc, 1/3000 @ F5.6, ISO 400, +1/3ev, fill flash @ -3.0

Stu Bowie
02-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Mark, lovely soft light, and the low perspective works well here. Good to see the water reflection cast on the pelican. If this were mine, I would have placed the pelican on the opposite of the frame, as he is looking towards the RHS. Does this need a very slight CCW rotation?

Aidan Briggs
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Good comment by Stuart. I love the low angle, and nice blue water. You did a good job exposing the whites too. In this case I might have actually gone with a tiny bit higher of an angle to avoid the intersection of the pelican with the dark line in the BG.

Looking forward to more!

Morkel Erasmus
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
lovely angle and exposure, and I also agree with the slight rotation

Daniel Cadieux
02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Mark, great low angle you got here...excellent for ther theme. Perfect exposure, and love the colours and the water reflecting on the pelican. I too would have been tempted to place this guy at left, but the water trail kinda balances the comp.

denise ippolito
02-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Mark, Nice to see you posting. I like the low angle and the line intersecting with the head is a soft color tone and doesn't bother me. I think the pelican could be placed on either side but like Daniel I feel the water line balances the comp.:S3:

Joe Brown
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Not much to add, I agree it would be better if the subject was on the left side of image. Like the soft light, excellent exposure of whites and reflection.

Joe

Gary Esman
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Sweet shot. Nice low angle, beautiful light love how the background fades together. Congrats!

Gary.

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree with Aidan on the line at the head. I would have chosen a bit higher elevation to get blue behind the head.

Mark Hardymon
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. I agree it probably could be rotated a bit more to level. Since his body is pointed more left the framing didn't bother me as much. Couldn't get any lower to change the angle, flat on my belly!

Randy Stout
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Mark:

Excellent subject isolation with low angle and long focal length.
Sharp, nice water reflections on body.
The forehead looks just a bit hot, could consider a multiply or linear burn selection to tone it down a smidge.

The conventional framing would be to have him more to the left, but the angle of his gaze is small enough that it doesn't bother me, balanced somewhat by the ripple as Daniel pointed out.

Shooting angle did result in the band cutting the head. It is pretty soft, not a big issue for me. A shot form slightly higher as mentioned by Aidan could have eliminated that, but the eye level feel would have been diminished slightly.

Great to see you posting.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Indranil Sircar
02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Excellent low angle image, Mark. Beautiful bg. It was good meeting you at the IPT.