PDA

View Full Version : clouds and forest

peter delaney
02-20-2011, 04:59 AM
For 3 consecutive months I have been trying to capture a near/ full moon rise from a local view point, but each time its been cloudy/foggy/raining .. this was taken on way back from location ,it was shot with a leica M8.2 which I always carry with for spontaneous moments.. I am still trying to bond with this camera which has many faults (but dont we all) but for some reason I wont give up on it.. not normally associated with landscape photography.... but I enjoy the freedom of being able to handhold and I love the beautiful colours and creamy texture you get with leica lenses.

1/250 f8 iso 160 (cant really go higher) tri elmar lens think this was at 35mm ..

converted in NIK

PS Did not want to use S/HL tool on dark areas as way to much noise there....

Dave Mills
02-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Peter, I can sense the rapid movement of the clouds and I like the diagonal flow of the treeline. I was hoping a bit more detail could be tweaked out of the trees(not much) but might dilineate the clouds better. The top clouds have some drama but a bit more contrast might help in bringing it out more...

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Peter,
I'm with Dave that this could use a bit more tweaking....I think if you could pull out more detail/depth in the sky.......and just lighten the fog a touch more in the FG......I don't mind the tree silhouettes......I want them black.....so just giving the fog a bit more pop will take this up a notch.
reposted is a quick redo with a bunch of selective levels and B/C layers. I went bolder to show you......but as always you can go softer too. Just some ideas for you to explore and let me know your thoughts.

Bill Randall
02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I like the repost very much and agree with the changes. But even the original is mucho moody and to my liking. Hail Silver Efex Pro.

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Peter,

The diagonals of the slope are very strong and mimic the flow of the clouds. I like what Roman did and Dave is right on. I might try a version 1/2 the way between the OP and Roman's. But make the fog in the trees pop like Roman's post, that is awesome.

Tim Munsey
02-21-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm with Robert on this a halfway house between the two.

Tim

peter delaney
02-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks all for honest critique..

Dave I agree about the trees needing tweaking ,thanks Roman will play around with bringing in more contrast in clouds and lighting clouds in FG

thanks Bill,Robert,Tim for comments agree about 1/2 between OP and RP.

Thanks again

Peter

Andrew Aveley
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
its not always about the place you want to get to, its more and more about the journey.......great work. Lets try next time with the not so spontaneous gear :w3 Nice work Peter:eek:

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
i understand about the noise in the shadows worrying you, But I feel the shadows are bit too blocked up and this image would be benefited by exposing the right and bring back the shadow details.