PDA

View Full Version : Altamira Oriole

Roy Priest
02-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Yet another one from Alan Murphy's Workshop.

Nikon D3
Lens: VR 500mm F/4G
Focal Length: 500mm
Focus Mode: Manual
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/6400s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.3EV
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 2500

Julie Kenward
02-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Roy, check your histogram on the yellows - you've got a big spike on the right side and it's got to be them. Try pulling the luminance (in Camera Raw) or the lightness (hue/saturation in PS) to soften them a bit.

Comp-wise I'd take a little off the top - the image feels bottom heavy as it is presented here since there is nothing in the top of the image at all. I like the wing spread shown here - nice freeze of the action, too. A slight step to the left might have shown that back wing a bit better but then I realize you couldn't predict what angle he was going to come in at!

Gordon McKechnie
02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice shot - like the angle of of the oriole. For me, only thing that detracts is that the perch looks sharper than the bird. Perhaps a bit more selective sharpening will do the trick

pat lillich
02-20-2011, 01:30 PM
oh man, what a gorgeous bird - great pose, incredible colors. would love to see it with the crop Julie suggests and Gordon's sharpening on the bird.

John Chardine
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Roy, nice bird and really nice setup. Agree with the comments above. Before I read them my first thought was the space at the top with everything happening more or less in the lower half. This is not helped by the uniform BG. Some blotchiness introduced into the top BG might counteract this.

Sid Garige
02-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Roy,

Smart sharpen and bit off of the top as Julie suggested.
Excellent job with vertical comp.

Gloria Archilla
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh my goodness, I love the color and those wings! Definitely, the crop and sharpening are what it needed. Great shot!!

Gloria

William Malacarne
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Sid

Really like the repost a lot, very well done.

Bill