PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Bee-eaters

Pam Osborn
01-04-2008, 06:37 AM
This pair were collecting insects to feed their new chicks in an adjacent nest. This photograph was taken at Rottnest Island off the coast of Western Australia. Camera was a Nikon D200 with a 300mm f2.8 lens and a 1.7 teleconvertor.

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Pam Very good image Love the action One with food is great Two even better

Might have tried moving a little to your left (if possible) to eliminate the blue It sort of breaks up the bg

Worked on the image to lighten the left bird a bit Shows better The adjustment was curves I used the eye dropper placed it on the image to find the are of the curve I wanted to lighten Place a dot and moved up with the arrow key

Selected the eye are of the left bird with a quick mask lighting it up a tad

Hope this helps

Andrew McCullough
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Nice action. Great that both are feeding.

Linda Robbins
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Pam, and Welcome to BPN!

Good timing to capture the jump into flight, and the each bird holding a bug is a special bonus. You did a great job getting good head angles on both birds. I agree with Al that moving left if it had been possible would have eliminated the blue bg distraction. I think using a quick mask to lighten the left bird even more, and using a quick mask for selective sharpening on just the birds improves the image quite a bit. If you aren't familiar with using Quick Masks, shoot me an email and I'll send you an email on how to do it. (lindaasart@aol.com) I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

Pam Osborn
01-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi Al

Thank you for your suggestions. My husband does all my photo shop for me so I will get him to try making the changes. I'll tell him he needs to lift his game if he wants to keep doing my work.
Regards
Pam

Pam Osborn
01-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi Andrew

Yes, I was delighted when the second bird flew in and I was able to capture them together with insects ready to feed their young ones.

Regards
Pam

Pam Osborn
01-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Hi Linda

Thank you for your comments. I was pleased getting the two birds with insects and getting the second one starting to fly away. My husband does all my photoshop for me and he agrees. I will have to have a word with him about picking up his game.

Regards
Pam