PDA

View Full Version : Red

Kaushik Balakumar
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Made this image of tulips with indirect sunlight (thru' window).
Trying my hands on Lensbaby...

Nikon D300, Lensbaby Composer, ISO200
f5.6 disc, 1/5s, macro filters (+10, +4) stacked.

Critiques most welcome...

Jerry van Dijk
02-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi Kaushik,

I just love the colors and light on this one! I do feel that you have placed the main subject too centered in the frame, which makes the composition less appealing than it might have been if you off-centered a little. A slight crop from the lower left may already work wonders. I think you can loose some of the OOF FG without without diminishing the soft look too much.

Kaushik Balakumar
02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Thank you Jerry. I was also in two minds about the centered composition. Was'nt able to make up my mind.

denise ippolito
02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Kaushik, Soft and dreamy and I like the composition as presented with the slight curve of the petal at the base. Beautiful colors.

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Kaushik,
Surprisingly......I really liked this one but like Jerry, the FG was bothering me a bit. You know I generally prefer max DOF but the softness and colors of this are fantastic! Originally.....I thought crop. Then upon further study, I felt it was the bit of yellow in the LR was the culprit. I went in and toned it down and then burned. To me this strengthened the comp and made the somewhat centered comp not so important IMO. Very nicely done and an easy tweak so let me know your thoughts

Julie Kenward
02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Kaushik, this has a beautiful lensbaby feel to it and the reds are gorgeous. I'm not loving the dark spot on the left side of the front petal, though - it feels "muddy" compared to the rest of the reds.

Steve Maxson
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Kaushik. This is a very nice abstract and the colors are wonderful. I like what Roman has done with the yellow in his repost as my eye kept being drawn to that area. Well done.

Chris Korman
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Very nice surreal and dreamy quality to the image, I like the low contrast nature to it.

Brendan Dozier
02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I like the colors and the softness you have created with this image, Kaushik. You are definitely on to something with this, agree about less centered, and maybe lightening dark spot on lft of front petal. Nice work!