PDA

View Full Version : The Grotto

dankearl
02-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Abiqua Falls, a really hard to get to, hidden grotto falls in the Oregon Cascade foothills.
1/3
f9
14mm
iso200
Center Weighted exposure
Gaussian Blur in PP

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0061-5.jpg

Dave Mills
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi Dan, The comp looks good with just enough foreground framing the bottom and left. Even though the falls are centered it works for me in this case. The top is also framed nicely with just enough room over the falls.
I might take out the small area of light near the far rt rock shore.
The whole image has a feint softness about it. Did you apply a filter to get this effect?

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey Dan,
The comp flows well through the scene and I agree with Dave on toning down some of the bright areas. I'm not sure the softness or Orton is working for me on this.....I am wondering if this is the brightness of the cascade flow?.....not sure but this location is definitely worth a bunch of visits if you can make it.

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Dan,

I think this image can work either as presented or w/o the blurring affect. The blur does help to deal with the contrast. Certainly an HDR worthy location and as mentioned, composition works just perfect for me with the falls in the center - the wrapping around affect both in the cliff walls and the top of the falls all work to move the eye to the falls. Well thought out framing.

I agree with the others on taming the highlights.

dankearl
02-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks all for your comments.
Unless you swim in this falls is only accessible by wading into it when is low water in August and September, but I will make it back.
I thought the blur gave it a dreamy effect which is what it feels like when you are there.
Here is a similar shot, no blur added and the falls is offset.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0144-1.jpg

Dave Mills
02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Dan, IMO this is a stronger comp. The foreground has more of a base( I would darken the lower rt} and I like the offset falls which has detail pretty much throughout. I don't see any hotspots on the water but I would take out the white tree trunk above the top of the falls.
For future reference only a repost of the original(generally altered or a corrected version is allowed in the same thread) The repost should of been posted in a new thread. Just a reminder for next time...