Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS + 2.0 TC
Focal Length: 400mm
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 800
SS: 1/3200
Eval Comp: +.33
Time: 4:45 PM
Date: 02-15-11
Adjustments in Aperture: Added some definition and sharpening, moderate recovery, big crop (~70%)

All feedback very welcome.

Julie Kenward
02-18-2011, 07:29 PM
James, you mentioned you took a very large crop on this one. I'd love to see the entire image for a few reasons. First, you have a lot of noise on the underside of the bird and the BG - I'd like to see if it's from the exposure or the big crop or both.

Nice wing position and even though the head is at a rather awkward angle, I still get the sense of eye contact so it works for me. I also like that we get a good view of the feet tucked under the body.

Jeff Cashdollar
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Always love the Eagles - my thoughts:
Wide open with the 2.8 given the 2xTC is f/8 so can not go wider on the aperture to help the shutter and/or reduce the ISO. I shoot my7D at 400 or less 98% of the time and do not like to exceed 500 (but that's me). The large crop and high ISO IMO caused a reduction in IQ and the noisy background.

On balance - HH from moving boat photographing a moving bird - not bad. However, the shoot is not critically sharp and detail in bird photography is the name of the game.

Keep em coming James.

See Ed Forum regarding how to extend the canvas and avoid the clipped wing.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/41898-Extending-your-canvas-made-easy

James Alexander
02-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks Jules and Jeff. All excellent points--I appreciate it. I've reposted the original as requested. Alex