PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon lV

Rob Miner
02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
This is a view of the North/East end of the canyon. No crop. Cropping of the bottom was considered, but I like this type of view grounded.

Camera Model: NIKON D2Xs
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Shutter speed: 1/30 sec
Aperture: 16
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 160
Lens: 12 to 24mm
Focal length: 24mm
Focal length: 36mm (in 35mm film)
Image size: 4288 x 2848
White balance: Auto
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Low
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: ProPhoto RGB

Constructive criticism and any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Rob...............

Dave Mills
02-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi Rob, Nice view of the canyon. Compositionally I might have added more foreground and a bit less sky. You have even lighting throughout which tells me this was taken when the sun was high. Alot more drama and impact is added when the light is either early or late.
I notice the sky is uneven and could have been done in PP or in the reduction of the file...

Chris Korman
02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Rob,

I like all the different colors within the landscape. I think it is a little too "head on" (i.e. camera base parallel to the ground) perhaps raising the camera up several more feet and pointing it down a bit more may have given it a little more dynamism.

One thing I am unclear about is that there are references to both AdobeRGB 1998 and ProPhoto, which is it? If you opened the file in Adobe1998 and then assign it to ProPhoto, you'll have gamma issues. I think for the web it best to "save as for web" and use the sRGB color space as not all people are using color managed/enabled web browsers.

Rob Miner
02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi Chris, Just put PS5 on the machine. This is the first picture that I have tried. I understand that Adobe RGB1998 and ProPhoto are not compatible. When I downloaded this picture I didn't check it before sending to BPN - my mistake. Will not send any more pictures until I can figure it out. NOTE: "Save as for web" was not available. I must have somethings really messed up. I normally use "Save as for web" and sRGB for submissions.

Rob...............

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Rob,
Dave covered my thoughts on time of day......but I have to ask even with those thoughts......did you use a polariser? If we use the sunny 16 rule for the time of day....you should be at f/16 and 1/160 sec. No polariser.....this was over exposed. Polariser may do up to 2 stops....not generally at that time of day in Arizona.....you are still about 1/3 to 1 stop over exposed. As a good rule.....if your shadow is straight down or close to it......time to put the camera away and do scouting....almost impossible to capture the grandeur of the location with those conditions.

Roman Kurywczak
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey All,
Sorry Rob! We got a bit off track so I moved the entire thread to General for continued philosophical debate and kept the critiques here.
Didn't want to hijack thread.

You can follow both. I'm going to change the title back to Grand Canyon lV now.

Rob Miner
02-19-2011, 03:16 PM
To answer some of the raised questions. This picture was the last taken on a drive thru of the Grand Canyon. It was the last picture taken a 9:02 a.m. in the month of May. A #81 adjustable, Polaroid filter was used due to the great amount of haze that day in the canyon. This histogram is dead ctr for the information taken. The picture is a portrayal of how the majority of people see it - not at daylight or sunset. I understand that those times are the "holy Grail" of artistic accomplishment, so just call it a Traveling photo or a snap shot. Thank you one and all for the time spent on critiquing this photo as I learn from each photo submitted.

Rob.........