PDA

View Full Version : Alligator and sliders

Jared Lloyd
03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
This photo is from Merchant Mill Pond State Park in North Carolina. Believe it or not, we do have gators here! According to the historical record, the alligators northern limit was what is now Alligator River NWR, or the southern shore of the Albemarle Sound in NC. However, climate change and the general warming trend has allowed this species to push northward over the last couple of decades and can now be found as far north as the Great Dismal Swamp along the NC and VA border which is where this was taken.

Take note of what this alligator is using for a pillow

was thinking that it could be warmed up ever so slightly, but figured I would let y'all be the judge.

Nikon D300, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, Sigma 2xTC APO EX DG, f/8, 1/400, ISO 800, EV +1.33, hand held from a kayak.

Robert O'Toole
03-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Cool image, love the live pillow, and the image backround info really makes an interesting read. I just wish the D#$M log wasnt sticking up right behind the gators head. Without that it would get an excellent gator in habitat image rating.

Robert

Chris Ober
03-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Got to wonder if that turtle is thinking, 'Oh ****!" :)
I agree about the log on top

Sabyasachi Patra
03-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Excellent natural history moment. If possible, I would have loved to move the kayak to improve the composition. The log behind the aligator is out of focus and is distracting. The cross section of the log on the right is on focus and is dark and pulls away the attention from the aligator's head. I would have tried to move to the left to avoid this section of the log. The log behind the aligator with greater depth of field would become less distracting. I would also have tried to get the full length of the tail if possible. I must congratulate you on an excellent sigting. I guess we photographes live for such moments.

D. Robert Franz
03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Love the natural history here. The BG log as mentioned is a bit distracting. I may have zoomed out a bit and included the entire tail.