PDA

View Full Version : ENP alligator

Harold Davis
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
this one was taken on the anhinga trail last sunday morning. the boys started bellowing about 7:45 that morning. what a neat experience that was.

it was very foggy and this photo had tons of fog in it. i tried to clear it up by increasing the contrast, but i started to introduce some noise into the photo. ran noise reduction on the bg and that helped, but the gator itself is dark and you can see the noise in him. is there anything i can do to help minimize this? there also seems to be some funky stuff going on with the water also despite the NR. ??

Nikon D300, Sigma 50-500 at 370mm, f/9, 1/250s, 0EV, ISO 500, fill flash, -3.7EV, BB, tripod

thanks for looking and i appreciate the help.

Gus Cobos
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Very nicely done Mr. Harold...:D

I like it. The next time we go, we need to bring a tooth brush to clean his teeth.:eek: What do you think?:D:D

CONGRATS...:)

Gus...:cool:

Harold Davis
03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
i'll make a deal with you, you bring the toothbrush and i'll get a photo of you cleaning his teeth! how's that?:p

reference that email to you reference that photo of the BIF, i took a real close look at it and i may have been wrong, BUT he said he did not process it and i did see some halos in various places. it's still suspect to me:cool:

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Harold,

To get rid of the fog use local contrast enhancement using USM at amount 20, radius 60 and threshold 4. It won't sharpen the image but helps to get rid of haze and fog. Vary the settings to achieve different effects.

Harold Davis
03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
thanks robert, i'll give that a try.

Nonda Surratt
03-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh I'm flying to FL to watch the tooth/teeth brushing. Harold I think Gus needs help, I'll photograph the event....

Pretty neat image!

Harold Davis
03-21-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks nonda. i have actually wrestled a seven feet long gator before, BUT he was by himself. this guy has lots of friends around and i dont think that would be a good idea here.

Oscar Zangroniz
03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Great shot Harold. I think Gus would do a great job in the tooth cleaning department.
Love the reflection!!!!!

Fabs Forns
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I hate to brake the party, but I think there's a hot spot inside his mouth (been there, done that) so they selecting that part (color range would do nice) and trying to save it. Check the Edu Resources Froum for instruction on how to.
Other than that, pretty cool!

Harold Davis
03-22-2008, 04:47 AM
thanks fabs!! read the tutorial. still dont have ps yet but i translated to cnx. wish i had learned this sooner. took all of about 2 minutes with a slow computer:o

Alfred Forns
03-22-2008, 05:01 PM
HI Harold How was the original exposure? Fog is not difficult to deal with but with under exposure it is

Neat pose Its always a treat finding one with the mouth open !!!

Harold Davis
03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
hi alfred. my spikes were just left of center with information running all the way to the right. looks darn near perfect to me. after processing the spikes widen and move a little to the left with information now reaching the left side and still running all the way to the right.

hope this helps