Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection

Another shot from my garden hide, all comments welcome.

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Jonathan,

Looks like you have a nice setup at home. The perch, which I assume you placed, is attractive. I do not do much of this type of photography but I feel a more diminutive perch would be nice. Say if the left upright portion of this perch was not there. But you can't cut this as that would not look good.

I like the head angle as it shows the detail in the face and top of head well. I am less liking the body position and dark shadow in the belly. A bit of fill-flash would fill that in.

Beautiful looking bird. Did you get any more of him/her?

Pieter de Waal
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Nice work Jonathan with lovely soft light and great exposure. Ideal posture of the bird in between the framed perch, well captured.

Jonathan Ashton
02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the comments Robert & Pieter, and yes I do have other similar shots and of different bird species

OvidiuCavasdan
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Cute little bird, I like the head details. I like the position of the bird on a nice perch but I might be tempted to remove the thiny twigs from left.

Colin Driscoll
02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Beatiful bird, pose and detail. Agree that flash would have helped and that a less complex perch since this is a setup. As it is there is competition for attention between the perch and the bird, both being interesting in their own right.

Jonathan Ashton
02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
It is interesting that most of you refer to the perch, you don't seem too keen on it. I deliberately chose this perch whilst out walking the dog thinking it could make a good natural frame for passerines. I see where you are coming from and respect your point of view, no worries I am grateful for your C&C.:w3