PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seattle

Enrique Patino
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Hello all,

I am new to digital photography - and an amateur at photography really - but I certainly have been bitten by the bug. I have been wanting to get back into photography for a long time, but other commitments, distractions and bad habits somehow hot in the way. I bought my first DSLR last November thinking of using it for video (a documentary about tribal fishing in the NW - but that is another story), and I have shot close to 14,000 frames. I am a fisheries biologist - native of El Salvador, but Birds seem to captivate me in a very special way. I find myself wanting to learn about their biology as at watch them and study their behavior and movements as I try to photograph them. And I am just string...

I found this forum a couple days ago and joined hoping to learn from you all. I have just scratched the surface of this forum/site, and I have to say it is a bit intimidating to see all the talent here and the incredible work you do. I do think however that with time and dedication it will sink in. I am beginning to learn to use my new 7D, but it is the PP what I believe will be the biggest challenge for me.

I apologize for not jumping in here ready to give criticism, but I am not yet comfortable about how to do it. I will start with a couple of my own photos when I feel I have a couple to shat and see where how that goes...

Cheers,

Enrique Patiņo

Enrique Patino
02-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Sorry, a couple of typos and I can't find a way to edit... hope it makes sense...:e3

Hello all,

I am new to digital photography - and an amateur at photography really - but I certainly have been bitten by the bug. I have been wanting to get back into photography for a long time, but other commitments, distractions and bad habits somehow hot in the way. I bought my first DSLR last November thinking of using it for video (a documentary about tribal fishing in the NW - but that is another story), and I have shot close to 14,000 frames. I am a fisheries biologist - native of El Salvador, but Birds seem to captivate me in a very special way. I find myself wanting to learn about their biology as at watch them and study their behavior and movements as I try to photograph them. And I am just string...

I found this forum a couple days ago and joined hoping to learn from you all. I have just scratched the surface of this forum/site, and I have to say it is a bit intimidating to see all the talent here and the incredible work you do. I do think however that with time and dedication it will sink in. I am beginning to learn to use my new 7D, but it is the PP what I believe will be the biggest challenge for me.

I apologize for not jumping in here ready to give criticism, but I am not yet comfortable about how to do it. I will start with a couple of my own photos when I feel I have a couple to shat and see where how that goes...

Cheers,

Enrique Patiņo

Julie Kenward
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Enrique, don't worry about typos - we all make them! And don't be intimidated about the work you see here - everyone starts somewhere and everyone gets better with practice! One day someone will be viewing your work and thinking, "Gosh, I hope I can be that good!"

It is true that in digital photography you have to know as much about pp as you do about the camera and photography but don't let that bother you. Be sure to check out the Eager to Learn forum - we tend to answer more questions and give longer explanations so you can absorb the new information and cut down some on all the reading and researching. You'll also find a ton of information in the educational forums as well.

Glad to have you with us and welcome to BPN!

Enrique Patino
02-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome Julie. I will spend some time on those forums sections you suggest. See you around.

Enrique

Enrique, don't worry about typos - we all make them! And don't be intimidated about the work you see here - everyone starts somewhere and everyone gets better with practice! One day someone will be viewing your work and thinking, "Gosh, I hope I can be that good!"

It is true that in digital photography you have to know as much about pp as you do about the camera and photography but don't let that bother you. Be sure to check out the Eager to Learn forum - we tend to answer more questions and give longer explanations so you can absorb the new information and cut down some on all the reading and researching. You'll also find a ton of information in the educational forums as well.

Glad to have you with us and welcome to BPN!

Marina Scarr
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Enrique:

Welcome to BPN. Glad you have been bitten by the but. Many of us know exactly how that feels!

Don't be shy about giving critiques. It is only an opinion, and we all have one, even if we aren't seasoned photographers. I think many of learn more by critiquing other's photographs and reading the other critiques as we do by posting our own work. It's amazing how quickly you will learn to see things you didn't even know existed.

Have fun and we look forward to seeing some of your work!