PDA

View Full Version : Greenstone Lake & reflection at sunrise

Allen Hirsch
02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
This lake is east of Yosemite, in the Inyo National Forest. We took a boat ride across another lake and then a short hike to get here before sunrise last summer.

40D + 10-22 (taken at 11mm), with tripod; ISO 200, f22, 1.6 sec. Cropped RHS slightly.

Chris Korman
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Nice symmetry going on here. I may suggest opening up the bushes/trees on the right of center, they are a bit too dark. Also, try a version with sky about 1/3 stop darker, and compare.

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey Allen,
You got out there for the right time of day! I do agree with Chris on tweaking the sky....to bring up as much contrast and depth that you can....this will take it up another notch. This one is definitely worth a revisit in PP'ing....to get it to its rightful place.

Allen Hirsch
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's a version that definitely opens up the darker bushes/trees to the right, and I think tweaks the sky about 1/3 stop darker:

Chris Korman
02-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Allen, I'd also take a look at the reflection of those trees/bushes, I see some sky colors in the trees/bushes too, consider bringing those out a little more. And perhaps explore burning in the sun kissed ridge by about 1/4 to a 1/3rd of a stop as well to bring back a little more saturation. Of course, go with how you feel to best express the image and how the scene "looks" to you.

Sincerely, Chris

Dave Mills
02-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Good comments above by Chris and Roman. I also feel the areas hit by the sun should be a bit more saturated(careful not to overdo) with more contrast. They are a bit flat.
I played with cropping some of the sky since the land area is almost perfectly centered. Just another idea...

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree with the comments on darkening/more contrast on the sunlight peaks.

On Dave's crop suggestion, John Shaw has mentioned that IHO with a perfect reflection and central horizon line is OK.

Kaushik Balakumar
02-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Wowwww.... !
That's some grrreattt light on the peak. Perfectly still water contributing to that killer reflection.
There's such fine symmetry in the image.
Congrats on this fine image !

Morkel Erasmus
02-20-2011, 12:25 PM
immaculate image here!! I would also increase contrast and saturation on the peaks as mentioned

the reflection is pristine and I like that the rocks on the bottom are visible up front

Judy Howle
02-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Here's a version that definitely opens up the darker bushes/trees to the right, and I think tweaks the sky about 1/3 stop darker:

I really like this repost. Well done!